Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I was told by vet that my cat (Bandit) might have a brain…

Customer Question
Hi, I was told by...
Hi, I was told by vet that my cat (Bandit) might have a brain tumor, b/c his urine & blood work were good. My cat just lost 3 pounds(within 3 months), he weighs in at 11 pounds right now. I think one reason why he lost some weight is b/c I noticed he stop eating dry food, he was the dry food king all of his 10 years, now all of a sudden he doesn't eat it, I see him once in a while lick it, that's it. Do you have any idea why? I also give him turmeric, multi vitamin, CoQ10 and fish oil ever since I've been given him these supplements he's been doing great other than giving up his dry food, he does eat wet food.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/2/2018
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a copy of the bloodwork results?

Has your vet performed an ultrasound?

Are you giving him enough canned food each day to sustain his weight?

No ultrasound, I don't have any copy of bloodwork all. I can say he was good with no problems in the blood. He seems to be eating ok, that might have slowed down a little, but he does eat, but I read something on the internet that cats should only eat one time a day anyway. I'm not sure if that is correct. He has a lot of energy he walks around practically all day.

When a cat is losing weight, we feed as often as is necessary to keep their weight up. The once-daily feeding is a recommendation for healthy cats without any health concerns. Are you able to obtain a copy of the bloodwork results to share? Often vets will send them via email and you can share them once they arrive.

Hi, I really don't think looking over the blood work will matter she made no concern of it. She said everything was good. The only thing she was concern with was the cat losing weight in the future and he has, but only b/c he is not eating the dry food I thought. I really only wanted to know that question I sent you about why you might think he stopped eating the dry food. Bandit was 14.5 pounds in early January and now he is 11 pounds as of a week ago. I guess I will bring him back. The only thing she said in the future he might have to get a MRI done which will be expensive.

I do and here's why: without seeing what tests were run I cannot know what was performed. Saying "bloodwork was normal" doesn't give specifics into what tests were performed. As such, I cannot suggest something that might be missing if we both assume it was run if it wasn't. Likewise, that may result in recommending additional diagnostics that will needlessly spend your money looking for something that might not be present (like the MRI). Essentially, with every medical case, we want to rule out the simple things that cause weight loss like kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes, etc. Conditions which might not have been ruled out might included pancreatitis and hyperthyroidism, which are both special panels your vet would order separate from the "usual bloodwork" that is commonly run on seniors losing weight. This is why I would like to see the results. I cannot be thorough without all the information.