Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat, Law, has been throwing up clear liquid all day.

Customer Question
Hi, my cat, Law...

Hi, my cat, Law, has been throwing up clear liquid all day. She's been meowing quite a bit the past couple days as well, I'm not sure if they're related or not.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Law eat anything unusual?

I don't think so, aside from drinking from the toilet on occasion when we forget to close the lid. My roommate is concerned that she may have drank from the mop bucket which had a bit of diluted cleaner in it. We caught my other cat, Robin, attempting to drink from the bucket before I dumped it

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Law?

She's normally pretty independent but lately she's been clingy with us and she rubs against everything.

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2018
Cat Vet: Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian replied 22 days ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Law who has been vomiting today. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Law today to cause her to vomit like this and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction (due to a hairball as an example). Whatever the case here, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight.

For now, make sure your girl has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep an eye on Law's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Law and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that message came through? Let me know when you receive it.

Dr E

Cat Vet: Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian replied 19 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian