Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I rescued 2 cats, each 1 year old, from a rescue. They were…

Customer Question
I rescued 2 cats, each...
I rescued 2 cats, each 1 year old, from a rescue. They were living with a foster family for 7 months and had no litter box issues. Annie, the female adjusted immediately. Danny was terrified. We were finding several spots of urine only in the basement and Danny was constantly hiding. The foster mom came for a visit and could tell Danny was terrified and needed additional time to adjust and felt he was the culprit. We put 2 massive crates together in our living room and let him out when he wanted to come out. He used that litter box with no issues. He stayed in the crate when we couldn’t watch him, which lasted 4 days. This seemed to work magic by he got used to all of our sounds and stopped hiding. He is playful, loving and an awesome cat. He went 3 days with no issues then I found a pee spot. 2 days later he pooped. He has officially pooped 3 times out of the liter box in the past 4 days and peed twice (not a lot). I use the same liter as the previous family. I have 2 litter boxes downstairs and 1 upstairs. I have 2 covered and 1 uncovered. I also have 1 with a bag and 2 without.
He only has these accidents in our basement, which is partially finished. We are the only owners in the house and I have never had an animal in the basement. The former foster mom originally thought he was not using the litter box bc of stress, but he seems totally fine now.
Also note, that when the previous foster mom had him he was in a crate for awhile bc she has cats and he needed all of his tests. He did not like 2 of her cats so at night he was in the crate bc he would fight (She let me use her crates for the 4 days so he was used to the smell). Help! I did a lot of searching to find the right cats for our family. The only 2 things that i am not flexible with that I discussed with the rescue was an unfriendly cat and one that didn’t use a litter box. Do you think this is more health or behavioral?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat
3/30/2018
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Has Danny gone in for diagnostics testing such as a fecal analysis, bloodwork or urinalysis? Are any calming agents being used, such as feliway?