Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Was just diagnosed diabetic a little over a week ago. Came…

Was just diagnosed diabetic...

Was just diagnosed diabetic a little over a week ago. Came in drooling thick foam tonight. Thinking he may have been having a seizure. Applyed some honey on his mouth which seemed to stop the drooling. Vet said if he had a seizure, to skip next dose of insulin. Just thought I’d check out the message boards to confirm that it was a seizure—he wasn’t shaking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Mickey age 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mickey?

Only that he is newly diagnosed as being diabetic

3/29/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok

Thank you for your question about this situation with Mickey. Could the drooling of this thick foam have been due to a seizure? It can't be ruled out, but in all honesty, what I'd be more suspect is would be along these lines - 1) he could have licked / tasted something that was an oral irritant. 2) He may have eaten something outside that made him nauseated and he vomited. 3) He could have a dental issue / tooth that has shifted or something stuck in the oral cavity to cause him to have this drool. 4) he could have an oral sore or growth that is causing this.

These are typically more common. It wouldn't be a bad thing to just skip a single insulin administration. When i'm talking to diabetic pet owners at my ER, I tell them if their diabetic gives them concern, in the grand scheme of treating it, it is safer to give a 1/2 dose or to skip a single dose (if they are under the weather, not eating, etc..).

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you. I will continue to monitor and follow up with the vet tomorrow.

Hopefully he is comfortable and finds a quiet spot to rest and doesn't have any vomiting and the drooling resolves. I'm hoping for the best for him!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian