Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

She is going to the box very frequently and passing just a…

She is going to...

She is going to the box very frequently and passing just a small amount of urine. I am usually not home during the day she has been to the box five times in the last hour! And this morning she peed on my husband's laundry basket that was next to litter box. She is usually very good with litter box.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Mermaid and she is still a kitten - 11 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mermaid?

We did just lose her brother from same litter to an autoimmune disease.

3/28/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good afternoon, JACustomer. It sounds like Mermaid has a urinary tract infection and needs to see your vet. They will likely obtain a urine sample to check for abnormalities and place her on a course of antibiotics. Within a few days you should see a resolution of symptoms. You may also want to ask for an antispasmodic for her to help with her need to visit the box so frequently. Typically females don't block, which is more common in males, but if she becomes unable to pass urine she does need to visit an ER location vs. your regular vet. Otherwise, I would make an appointment for her just as soon as possible. At home, you can add a few drops of cranberry juice to her food and also offer canned food to help keep her bladder flushed with added fluid.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you. Will the urinalysis likely be the only
Test required at the vet for this issue? Or would there be any foreseeable reason for blood tests or x rays etc?

Typically we only recommend a urinalysis for a cat so young exhibiting these signs. Your vet may recommend bloodwork and x-rays for good measure, but you can always decline them if your finances won't permit such testing. Of course, if she does not improve a recheck UA will be indicat4ed and then other diagnostics, as well, such as the x-rays and bloodwork.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse