Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

After flea treatment, she was able to lick it off in 2 days.

After flea treatment,...

After flea treatment, she was able to lick it off in 2 days. Now she isn't eating and drinks a lot of water

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Sammie (female)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sammie?

She's never acted like this when treating her with flea treatment, but she wasn't able to lick it off before

3/28/2018
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello, again.

I would appreciate it if you could answer these few questions, to give me a better idea of the situation. Thanks:

How old is Sammie?

Which flea treatment did you apply?

Is this the flea treatment you have always used in the past?

Where did you apply it?

In addition to not eating, but drinking a lot of water, is she acting differently? Is she lethargic, vomiting at all, not interested in anything?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me a short while to compose and send your answer.

Best regards,

Cher

Okay. Now you are the third person who's saying the same as you. Is this a scam.
See if pay more money then we can char. I fell for it. You people should be ashamed of yourself with playing concerned people about there animals.
Is any one going to give me an answer on this?

Hello, again.

I'm sorry, but I don't know to what you're referring. All I did was ask you questions, to get more important information about the product used, etc. I'm in the middle of typing your answer, now. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

I was hoping to hear back from you with more details, but I didn't want you to wait very long for an answer, either.

Depending upon the specific flea treatment used, and its main ingredient, this may be a very serious problem for Sammie. He needs to be seen by a vet, immediately, so they can detoxify his system, if the flea treatment, was indeed, toxic. They might use activated charcoal to bind the toxin and prevent it from spreading throughout his body.

It's important to only use flea treatments sold by your vet or certain brands, like Frontline and Advantage, which are now sold in some pet supply stores. NEVER use Hartz, Sargeant's, Zodiac, or other brands sold in supermarkets and pet supply stores, as they have been known to produce very serious adverse reactions in cats--some even fatal!

Always apply the flea treatment at the back of the neck or between the shoulder blades, so the cat can't reach to lick it off. These treatments are made for 'topical' (on top of the skin) use and not for ingestion. The only way to help Sammie, is to have her evaluated in person by a vet, asap.

We are definitely not a scam and all I'm trying to do is help you and Sammie. If you don't find my answer helpful, just don't rate at all. If you find my answer helpful, please rate positively. Thank you. Keep in mind that you are rating the information in my answer and nothing to do with the site, at all. If you are not happy with the workings of the site, you can contact Customer Service, but please don't take it out on me, by rating negatively. My answer is complete and comprehensive and gives good advice re: what to do, next, to help Sammie. Thank you very much for understanding.

I hope all will be well with Sammie!

I sent a reply to you with specifics but got no answer. Plus my first reply I answered the question of my cats name. I said sammie (female).
She is a female cat. Your referring to her as a male.
And why did I have to give my response to 3 different people?
Yep. Scam!!!

I'm sorry, but, I received no reply from you after I responded and asked my questions about the situation, to gain more insight.

I only referred to Sammie as a female. If at any time I referred to her as a male, I apologize. These things happen, when you're typing quickly. I only see this 1 question asked by you, in the system today. Can you tell me who else you spoke to?

Did you read my answer? The most important thing is Sammie's health and that is what my answer concentrated on.

Again, we are not a scam. Look up other questions and answers that were asked here and you will see how many happy customers we have. I, myself, have over 11 and a half thousand customers who rated me 'excellent' for my answers.

We do this because we DO care about the pets and the site is not a scam at all.

Best regards,

Cher

You edited your last response?
Sammie is 12 yrs old.
I used advantage II.
Used this before on her with no problems.
I put it on back of neck, but she was able to lick it off.
She's barely eating, drinking a lot of water tho. Very lethargic. Been 5 days now.
I'm not taking anything out on you. I just wanted to know the vet's answer.
She doesn't seem to want to be petted, or touched.
Are you still with me?
Hello! Are you there?

Hello, I'm still here--had to leave the computer for a few minutes.

Thank you for your additional and helpful information.

If these symptoms have been present for the past 5 days, you definitely need to have her seen by a vet asap. Not only does the ingestion of the flea treatment need to be addressed, but if she's barely or not eating, this can lead to a very serious liver condition called hepatic lipidosis or 'fatty liver' and the only way to treat it is by getting her eating again. If she's drinking a lot, it's her body's way to try to get the taste of the treatment out of her mouth, plus, to flush her system of the toxin.

In a case like this, she must be seen by a vet for treatment and there's not much you can do at home. If she doesn't want to be petted or touched, she's in pain or discomfort from the ingestion of this flea treatment. I'm glad to hear you used Advantage II, because it's one of the best, ***** ***** I mentioned, none of these treatments are made for ingestion.

Can you get her to her vet or an ER vet, now? This is what she needs, to get the proper treatment for the ingestion of the Advantage II.

Please let me know what the vet's findings and treatment are, after you bring her, so I know how she's doing. Thanks!

Best regards,

Cher

Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Oh, I forgot to respond to your question: "You edited your last response?" I found a typo and wanted to correct it and I also think I added some information. Experts (and clients) frequently edit their answers.

I called her vet. Since she isn't throwing up, and drinking a lot of water, he said to watch her for a couple more days. If not eating by then, to bring her in. (Make an appointment )
I forgot to say that she is eating some dry cat food, and urinating and pooping as usual.
Thank you for responding.
I apologize if you felt I was rude. I was waiting for you to reply. I thought you were ignoring me, when actually you had replied by E mail to me. I'm sorry for the confusions on my part.
I rated you 5 stars!
Thank you.

Hello again, and you're most welcome! It was my pleasure to be of help to you and Sammie!

Thank you for letting me know you called her vet. I agree with trying to get her to eat more and you can even try plain, jarred baby food chicken by Beechnut (make sure it contains NO onion or garlic product, as these are toxic to cats). It's bland and she might like the taste of it. Also, try adding some water from (human) canned tuna or bottled clam juice onto her dry food, to encourage her to eat more. Just pour a little over a small amount of food, because you'll have to throw it out if she doesn't eat it within a half hour or it will spoil.

No apology necessary; I did not think you were rude. I understand your frustration and worry about your furry girl. There must've been a glitch in the system, that prevented other experts from whom you received an 'Information Request' or answer, earlier, from replying further.

When I was first notified of your question, I answered right away, and would never ignore a client. Yes, there were confusions, but no harm done. As you saw, it takes a while to type up an appropriate answer, and clients think they're being ignored, until the answer is sent.

I sincerely ***** ***** excellent rating and apologize for any inconvenience. My main goal, as yours, is Sammie's good health!

Warmest regards,

Cher