Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

He has a watery right eye, drainage is clear. When he

He has a watery...

He has a watery right eye, drainage is clear. When he scratches the right ear he meows loudly. Still eating, drinking water and playing.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Tigger and he is 2, 1 of 5 indoor cats.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tigger?

This winter he did escape twice outside. I treated him for parasites.

3/28/2018
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly. First, can you tell me:

Is his eye swollen at all?

Does his vision in this eye seem normal?

When was the last time he escaped outside?

Thanks for all your additional information.

Cher

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Eye isn’t swollen. He appears to see, walk and jump just fine. He was last outside in December.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The ear looks clean, no visible discharge or odor.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The eye underneath the lids is a little pink

Hi again, Customer and thanks for your helpful reply.

I'm glad to hear that the eye is not swollen and he's functioning normally.

From your description of his symptoms, it sounds like he might have gotten a tiny foreign particle in his right eye or when playing with his companions, he received a scratch on his cornea, which is causing the tearing. The fact that the right eye is tearing and the right ear is bothering him, could be related. If he has no debris resembling blackish-brown coffee grounds in his ear, which is a symptom of ear mites, and there is no visible discharge or odor, he might have an ear infection in the middle or inner ear, which you can't see.

If the under-lid areas are a little pink, in his eye, he may have pink eye or conjunctivitis, which is very contagious to other cats and humans, so for the moment, until you can get him seen in person by the vet, to get a definite diagnosis, it would be a good idea to keep him separated from his companions and make sure you wash your hands very well, after handling him. The pink you see, might also just be irritation from whatever is causing the clear discharge and/or he might be rubbing his eye with his paw or against walls, the floor, or furniture, to alleviate any discomfort or itching.

For the moment, if he allows, you can put a warm, damp (wrung out) plain tea bag on his closed right eye for a few seconds at a time, or as long as he'll let you, up to 5 minutes, several times a day. The tannins in the tea will help draw out infection. However, I do strongly suggest an in-person vet visit, asap, so his eye and ear can be evaluated and then, a treatment will be prescribed, based on diagnosis.

I hope all will be well with Tigger and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks so much!

My primary goal is to provide you with a quality answer. I hope I have accomplished this goal and please remember to rate the answer positively, with 5 stars, as this is the only way I am recognized by the website for my time and assistance. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you, before rating. Please be aware that rating will not close your question; we can still communicate, even after you rate. Thank you very much!

Warmest regards,

Cher

Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you for the tea bag idea. Anything I can do for the ear to make him more comfortable?

You're most welcome! Thank you very much for your excellent rating; it is highly appreciated!

For the time-being you can give him an antihistamine like Benadryl or Chlor-Trimeton, to help the itching in his ear. I prefer Chlor-Trimeton, because Benadryl tablets are very bitter and if you don't get it down his throat the first time, he will taste it and start salivating and foaming at the mouth. Chlor-Trimeton is a small pill that is scored and soft enough to break in half with your fingers and then break in half again, and give him 1/4 of a 4mg. tablet every 12 hours. You can save money by buying the store's brand (generic) and not the actual brand name. Here is more information:

https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton-for-dogs-and-cats/

--------------

Actually, these symptoms can also be caused by allergies or he may have a flea or other parasite in his ear or a foreign object. Even if you don't see any evidence of fleas, they can be brought in on humans' clothing and shoes.

I hope this helped you further!

Best regards,

Cher

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
thank you and I have 4 mg generic chlortrimeton.

Fantastic! Yes, I keep it in the house, too! : )

Remember, a side effect of an antihistamine can be drowsiness.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thanks, ***** ***** They don’t have that effect on me. I’ll let you know my vet says.

You're lucky, if they don't have that effect on you!

Thanks for letting me know what your vet says, after Tigger is seen; I'd appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist