Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I think she may have feline acne starting. There don’t seem…

I think she...

I think she may have feline acne starting. There don’t seem to be any bumps. it just looks dirty around her mouth. she does tend to rub that area on corners of things as if trying to scratch it. Is there anything else it could be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

See previous info.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

She doesn’t hurt.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name and age?

Maggie Mae. 3-4. A rescue animal I’ve had about 2 months.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?

Yes. Can you read my introductory statements about feline acne or things that may resemble the early stages of it?

3/26/2018
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Thompson. I’ve been a small animal veterinarian since 2000. Thanks for your question. I understand your cat Maggie Mae has some dirty looking areas around her mouth . Is that correct?

Computer glitch. Sorry. Answer is yes

I think you are a good observer and a good cat caretaker to notice that she's rubbing her mouth against things and has dirty looking skin in that area!

Feline acne definitely has various stages of severity and can start out just the way you're describing. Have you looked inside her mouth to see if her gums look inflamed?

Not particularly, except when she yawns. Take that back.Try to check her gums and all seemed fine just nice and pink.

Oh, good to hear the gums seem normal.

Feline acne is usually a symptom of something else going on, often allergic in nature. However, the acne can become so severe that bacterial infection becomes an issue.

To diagnose feline acne, your vet would want to rule out some other issues such as mites in the skin. If feline acne is diagnosed, the treatment involves antibiotics if there appears to be a bacterial infection, sometimes clipping the hair, topical cleansers (sometime benzoyl peroxide products are used but can be irritating), and topical antibiotics applied daily (often mupirocin products).

I hope I’ve answered your question to your satisfaction. Don’t hesitate to ask follow up questions if you have any. If finished, the best incentive you can give me to continue helping here on JustAnswer is a 5-star rating. Just click on the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thanks!

She is experiencing gi trouble— very soft bowel movements. I am working with my local veton those.

A bit more advice: some find that using ceramic food and water dishes and washing them with hot water and soap helps. Some cats improve with hypoallergenic diet. GI trouble plus mouth issues go along with food sensitivities in a lot of cases.

Thank you that helps me know what to look at her dishes are ceramic I’ve kept her on the same food since I brought her home Cartwright some probiotics for about three or four weeks still having bowel problems so maybe allergic to the food that’s easy to work on. Anything else I should do to check about food allergy?

It can be challenging to diagnose food allergy/food sensitivity. You should consider feeding her a veterinary prescribed hypoallergenic diet for a couple of months. If she is no better in that time, most likely her issue is not a food allergy.

Hope Maggie Mae feels better soon! Let me know if there is any other way I can help.

Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Thompson