Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have a inside kitty who doesnt go outside but i do leave…

i have a inside kitty...
i have a inside kitty who doesnt go outside but i do leave windows open for fresh air.but its that season and we have loads of pollen..and every year she seems to ahve issues like me..maybe like getitng fluid in ears..but she had been stratching at tthem..so when i looked inside looked kinda wet like liquid maybe alittle dirty but not like ear mites dirt.so i had on hand the zymox ear solution inflamation relief 0.5% and used it for about 4 days..and hasnt seemed to help she still sctaching../..so now she has sores behind her ear..and i been cleaning them with watered down betadine.then put some neosprin on it..is this okay to do so it wont get infected or does she need a antibiotic and what can i do about the ears..since i cant get her to the vet right now
3/26/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Will you please attach pictures of what you’re seeing? There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

okay give me a few minutes and i will try pics
let me know if the pics went through

It certainly looks like she's developed quite the scab where she's been scratching. These often heal just fine with neosporin, but it won't do much good unless you're treating the cause. Her ears also look like they could stand to be cleaned. Are you applying the Zymox deep in the ear, massaging and removing any obvious debris with a q-tip from the visible tissue?

I would recommend trying an antihistamine to help with her scratching behavior. I would give 2-4mg of Chlorpheniramine (OTC in the human pharmacy) orally every 12-24 hours as needed. If she's still scratching, she needs to see your vet for other therapy such as a steroid injection. Be sure she's on flea prevention at this time of year, as well, so this doesn't contribute to her symptoms.

well this zymox says it cleans the ear also i thought..i ahve not used a qtip didnt wnat to hurt her..maybe im not putting the zymox deep enough..but i squirt one drop in then massage it then wipe excess..when you say clean how else is there to do it?when she went to vet before i said about cleaning the outer flap of ear and she said it wont come off....and is it okay to be using the betadine on her scab to clean it hen put neo on it..

More than placing it deep enough, massage is important to break up the debris. It won't help her deep in the ear if it never makes it that far in. More info is available on how to clean and medicate here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2fNUk17iWo As far as cleaning, I recommend using makeup pads and q-tips. Clean only the area you can actually see. Ear canals on cats are shaped like an L. You won't reach the eardrum simply by cleaning what area you can see. Betadine is fine for the scan and regular Neosporin massaged in well so it doesn't slip off the skin.

you do think this zymox can help though?so how many more days should i use it..and shold i do the qtip thing after i put the zymox in..the outer kind part of the ear doesnt seem to come clean

Yes, the zymox can definitely help. It should be used until symptoms have resolved. This typically is used for 14-21 days. I would clean as much debris as you can out of the visible ear before using the zymox. Apply, massage well and wipe any extra using a makeup pad. Did you visit the link regarding proper cleaning technique?

i seen video..but i dont ahve any ear cleaner ..do i nee dto get ear cleaner squirt that in then use qtip then apply the zymox?and how do you clean that upper flap part..you know the part like in the video where shes holding and pulling back to get in the ear

Zymox can be used as an ear cleaner. If you want to use something specific to flushing ears, I would recommend this product: https://www.chewy.com/trizultra-keto-flush-dogs-cats/dp/126809?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=TrizULTRA&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtOLVBRCZARIsADPLtJ0tl6gt6VoOExMboFX2CqAO5hRFlnMmcDNDDSpL4gqWw42I5VZGoaYaApwWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds You can use the q-tip to remove debris at any stage but I would only wipe away extra flush once the ear has the zymox in place. Over time, that will help to break up the debris which you'll remove with the next cleaning (ears can be flushed and cleaned 1-2x daily). If you notice any debris during the day or obvious discharge that needs to be cleaned away, this can be done at any point it's observed. The upper part seldom needs cleaning. I usually wet a makeup pad and wipe up to the tip of the ear if there is any debris left there following cleaning. If the discharge is really caked on, coat with coconut oil, allow to sit for 15-30 mins then wipe the ear with a makeup pad.

i looked in cabinet and found some ear cleanser also from zymox..so can i sue this now then put in the zymox ear soltuion after

You can.

okay thanks..its late so dotn ahve real good bright light in the hosue but i will try to see and go ahead and use the cleanser and qtip to clean her ears then i will wait about 30mins then put in the zymox inflamation stuff..
how many times a day should i do both

Once should be sufficient.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
i know your not suppose to use hydrogen perxocide on cats sores alot but could i use it jsut once to make sure the infection is out..becaue its still very red . she only itched alittle before i started using that zymox inflamton stuff .and the sore was small.seems like she icthes more since i used that...even thoguh i used the betadine which doesnt seem to absorbe in the sore jsut sits on top then i wipe it off..

It's a common misconception that hydrogen peroxide clears infection. Hydrogen peroxide is water with an added oxygen molecule (H2O vs. H2O2). As such, it does not "ensure that the infection is out" and has no antibacterial properties. So, while it won't hurt to use it...it's not going to cure an infection if you do. Like the betadine, peroxide is only going to be present on the surface. You can certainly switch between the two, but don't expect much change in the result you're seeing.

do you think the zymox was making her itch more..her ears inside look clen now except those outer flaps...so maybe iu should ease off of it to see how she does..

If the zymox was applied to the ears, she would be more likely to shake her head and scratch. Anytime we issue intervention with wounds there is potential for us to exacerbate symptoms in an attempt to help the pet.

okay im not sure what the last part of that meant..sorry..lol

Basically, anytime we mess with wounds there is potential that it may cause a worsening of a pet's symptoms. So, she could very well be scratching more.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i need to ask a question about cats heart meds can i give you more money on here to ask

You'll need to ask a new question, but you can specifically request me using this link if you like:

http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse