Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat seems to have a sore/scab over her eye. I'm not sure…

My cat seems to...

My cat seems to have a sore/scab over her eye. I'm not sure what it is or how she got it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?

Sweetie Belle, she's just over 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

She's up to date on all her shots. My vet treated my kitten for an upper respiratory infection a few weeks ago, which he was quarantine from the other animals. We took him back, and they told us he had a sort of herpes virus for cats, but it wasn't contagious. Could it be that?

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections your kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?

Pizza

3/25/2018
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has it been present?

Any pus or discharge from the sore?

Can you take a photo of this for me to assess? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Hello again,

Now given the appearance of the lesion, it looks most suspicious of self trauma (the most common reason in kitties to see facial scabs/sores) and that can be related to bacterial skin issues, insect bites, allergies, etc. That said, I would note that if she has herpes virus, it is also possible to see an atypical form cause skin lesions on the face. So, this may be related. Though I do just need to note that what you mentioned about contagiousness of the virus is not correct. We cannot catch it from cats but it can be spread to other kitties, so I did want to note that just so you are aware.

In any case, given this lesion, we can start some topical care. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a sterile saline. As it is so close to the eye, we are best using an eye safe option like OTC plain contact lens solution or eye wash. Afterwards, pat the area dry and carefully apply an OTC antibiotic cream to help reduce secondary infection and aid healing. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an ecollar on your wee one to protect this.

As well, if there is any concern of an underlying allergy or insect bite, we can also treat with an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce allergic irritation. Alternatively, we can use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, to avoid drowsiness. Of course, double check with your vet first if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication you didn't mention.

Finally, as feline herpes virus may be involved, we can also start OTC L-lysine. This is a nutritional supplement that can help them recover quicker. This is available over the counter at vets, pet stores, and even online. They come as gels, powders, and as crushable tablets that can be mixed into food. An average cat dose is 500mg a day.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok, thanks for that. The cat I sent the picture of is not the one with the herpes virus, she got it from the other kitten. My only other question would be should I keep them quarantined while I have them both on antibiotics?
nekovet
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian