Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat vomited a few days ago and is now not eating like she…

Customer Question
My cat vomited a...

My cat vomited a few days ago and is now not eating like she used to. She will want her food but then she eats a few bites and leaves. She will come back later and eat a bit more but usually she always are all at once. Should I be concerned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of but we do have mice and Im not sure if she got one. She has caught them before but she didn’t eat them.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

She’s young but will be 1 in April

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat
3/25/2018
Cat Vet: nekovet, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Since the vomit, any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or diarrhea?

What did that vomit look like?

Can she drink normally?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

She vomited on Wednesday and it was just the one time. It was a meal she hadn’t had before and she slept for a few hours after she ate and woke up and threw up. It hadn’t been digested at all it was still almost solid. She had been very clinging and sleepy that whole day. Since then, she hasn’t vomited but but she is seeming kind of picky about her food and instead of eating it in a few minutes she grazes on it for a few hours but she will eat it. She seems fine otherwise, her playing etc is normal.

Good morning,

My apologies for my delay but as I am sure you can understand I am quite busy with my own patients during the week.

Now with regards ***** ***** lass her signs support a significant nausea (both the vomiting and appetite loss being side effects of this). Hopefully, it was just caused by the change of diet as that can trigger such signs. And if it was, I'd expect she's settled by now. However, if she isn't we'd need to think about other causes like bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, to counter nausea, you can consider treating her with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk should she still have signs, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, if it was the new food alone I'd expect all to be well now. If it is, we are happy. But if it isn't then we have to consider those other causes and in that case could try the above. Or if she is quite poorly or not responding to this, then we'd want her local vet to assess her for those other concerns +/- treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get her settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.