Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat, Samantha is a tabby and she's approximately 10 years…

Hi. My cat, Samantha...

Hi. My cat, Samantha is a tabby and she's approximately 10 years old. Yesterday, I noticed that she had some.discharge coming out of both eyes and they're watery and her pupils are moving quickly from side to side. We've never noticed this before. We have an appt for her on 3/30/18. Please any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sure Samantha feels you are doing your best. What is wrong with Samantha?

Her eyes have started moving from side to side, rapidly???

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does Samantha seem to hurt?

Both eyes and she's not steady on her feet, like she's dizzy?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Just that her eyes have had a discharge coming out of both eyes?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Samantha?

She's about 10 years old and we've never seen her do this before.

3/23/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. It sounds like Samantha is having nystagmous, which is when the pupils move rapidly back and forth. This is a neurological sign that can be caused by a primary neurological problem (such as a brain tumor), or a problem somewhere else in the body that causes neurological signs. Older cats can develop certain conditions such as kidney and liver disease that cause wastes to build up in the system because those organs aren't clearing them as they should. The build up of wastes in the blood streams can cause them to have neurological signs. Diabetes is another condition that can cause changes in neurologic status, if it is advanced. Does she go outside? In rare cases, parasites can migrate to the brain and cause neurological signs.

No, she's exclusively an indoor cat.

Is she having any other signs such as drinking an excessive amount of water, urinating a lot, eating less, not at all, or eating more? The answers to these questions can help to figure out whether there is an underlying metabolic problem going on, or whether this is more likely to be a neurological problem.

She's.eating and drinking normal

Does she seem lethargic, or does she have a normal energy level? Also are you seeing her pupils moving from side to side continuously, or does she have episodes of it and then goes back to normal?

The eye movement comes and goes.
She's not lethargic either.

Ok, that's good to know. Since she is eating and drinking and has a normal energy level and the eye movement is not constant, I think you can wait to get her to the vet until your appointment on 3/30.

I recommend having some lab work done when you take her in.

Okay, thanks for your help! Do you have any idea of what it looks like?

Well based on her signs, it does not seem like she has diabetes or kidney disease or liver disease, which the vet will check for with blood work. The watery eyes and the pupils going back and forth make me suspect a problem in her head, perhaps with her brain or sinuses. There are certain metabolic conditions that cause neurological signs, but I don't think any of those is going on based on the fact that she is eating, drinking and energetic.

Okay, thanks for your help! She will definitely see our vet. On 3/30/18. Thanks so much!

You're welcome! I hope you get some answers. If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any more questions.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel