Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have a little trash can that i put my cats poop in and it…

Customer Question
I have a little...

I have a little trash can that i put my cats poop in and it developed mold. None in the liter box had mold though. It it just because the poop was sitting in the bag for a week or so?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?

Roo and hes almost a year

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Roo?

Almost a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roo?

No. He only eats his cat food. Hes on a 4 health basis

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat
3/22/2018
Cat Vet: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Roo's fecal material.

I would assume that mold developed on the stool in the trash can because it was likely covered which caused a small amount of moisture to be present. This would be a more hospitable environment for the growth of mold as opposed to an open litter box especially if it sits in the trash can for a while before you dispose of it.

I've had cats for over 30 years and I've actually never seen mold grow on the stool that I removed from the litter box but I tend to remove it every day.

I hope this helps, Deb