Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat is almost 16 years old and he is very frail. He is in…

My cat is almost...

My cat is almost 16 years old and he is very frail. He is in obvious pain. He doesn't want to walk on his left paw and he has been walking in a stiff manner lately. We had been giving him chondoitin for years but he stopped he recently stsrted refusing to take it. Anyway, we are snowed in and our vet is not available due to the snow and our cat seems to be hurting more than usual tonight. I feel bad even going to sleep knowing that he is in so much pain. I have heard that you can give a cat gabapentin and I take that myself. Can I give him some in a much lower dose? I don't want to knock him out or kill him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is your cat's name and age?

Pippy age 16

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Pippy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pippy?

He's been extremely hungry lately but barely weighs anything

3/22/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am so sorry your cat is in such bad pain. I cannot advise you to give any medications. I can tell you it is used in cats and if you scroll down on this page it has information that I think you will find may help you and your cat make it through the storm. Please open the link and you can use the X at the top of the page to access the actual page

https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/gabapentin-neurontin-for-dogs-and-cats/

I does give information on dogs and cats. I hope this helps you and you will take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan