Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat has kidney disease and in iv fluids for over a year…

My cat has kidney disease...
My cat has kidney disease and in iv fluids for over a year now recently she was constipated and had a enima by her vet she is also on the liquid medication to make her stool soft and pumpkin diet she has been having bowel movements with some mixed hard poop with soft the soft poop is hard for her to hold on she would do it everywhere is this normal
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wouldn’t say hard poop but developed poop not hard not diarrhea mixed with diareah and she acts like she still needs to do more
3/22/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi Dr. W here. So the fact that she is having some developed poop is good. Ideally we want to avoid constipation (means she's probably not getting enough subcutaneous fluids) and also avoid diarrhea (because diarrhea will dehydrate her even more which is bad for kidney patients). So, it sounds like you are almost there! You may need to talk to your vet about adjusting down the Lactulose (liquid medicine) dose just a bit so you end up with nice formed stool without the diarrhea.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
After she goes poop she has some accidents where she won’t make it but just drippings. Also her poop went from black after her enima to brown she is eating a drinking water and she happy until her bowel movements then she gets anxious for about an hour
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When her drippings happens she lets out like fart noises
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also I have been given her more iv liquids per her dr request I give it to her every night
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s been 5 days since her enema

Okay, my computer had to update so thank you for waiting.

I think some of what you may be seeming (especially the farting noises) could be from the enema. It can take several days for the air to get out sometimes. Also if the farting and diarrhea continues, it's possible that she could have picked up a gastrointestinal bacterial infection or her gastrointestinal flora is out of balance. Your vet might want to try Metronidazole to get rid of any abnormal bacteria followed by a probiotic to restore the normal bacteria.

The pumpkin is a great idea and I would go ahead and add a probiotic regardless.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She gave her a shot of antibiotics the day of the enema. What is a sign of bacterial infection

Mostly diarrhea and gas are the main symptoms. There is not an injectable version that would help with an intestinal infection, so that would've had to have been for something else.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She only has gas when she poops

Here is a link to a probiotic, but your vet might have one that you can pick up from the office as well:

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=38108

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He said mettemucil but I’m still trying to find it unflavored might have to go the route of amazon maybe that’s the link that’s missing since he did say do all 3 which is the liquid he gave me the pumpkin diet and the mettemucil

Good job taking care of her! I know this is a lot of work and I'm so glad she has you!

So,

First: if the diarrhea and gas when she's pooing continues for another 48 hours, I would talk to your vet about possibly adding a short course of Metronidazole, and slightly decreasing the dose of Lactulose.

Secondly: I would continue the pumpkin and add Probiotics and go ahead and get the unflavored Metamucil from Amazon. These things are likely to help you get things back to normal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You're welcome! It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One more question I’m giving her pumpkin soup for cats that I buy in pet store is that good or should i give her canned pumpkins

For her intestines, canned pumpkin is better.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks could that be the issue since ive been giving her this for 5 days the pumpkin cat soup

Yes it could be contributing because the soup doesn't have as much pumpkin fiber as the canned does, and that's really what you need to help the intestines.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks

My pleasure, I'll check back in with you tomorrow as well to see how everything is going.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks I would get those items tomorrow and start her on it

Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way).

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson