Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

We will be moving soon and we have my mom and her animals…

We will be moving soon...
We will be moving soon and we have my mom and her animals live with us now due to losing her house in the CA wildfires. We are all getting a house together. So, it will be my mom's kitten you helped us with, Ryder (6 month old male), my mom's dog, Ginger, (11 yr old female dog), and our almost 7 yr old female cat, Chloe. Chloe and Ryder are still not getting along but Chloe tolerates Ryder. They both sleep on our bed together, just on different sides but Chloe still hisses and growls at Ryder several times/day. I'm thinking of putting them all in one of the new house bedrooms on moving day so they will be in 1 calm room versus the hectic environment of the rest of the house. I'm also afraid the cats will get out if they are just left to their own devices. They are both indoor cats. Does this sound like a feasible idea? Any other suggestions/advice would be helpful so we can make this as calm and seamless as possible for them.
3/21/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

One thing you will want to do in the new house is set up Feliway diffusers wherever the cats will be. The Feliway is a PheramoneP and makes the cats feel like they are kiitens again nursing off mother. This will help them to adjust to each other as well as the new surroundings. You can also add Rescue Remedy which will work for the dog as well as the cats. The Rescue Remedy is by Bach and sold in the Pet suppies or online Pet supplies and can be put in all their water as a calcming agen. For travel, you can by Feliway spray to use in the car. There is no small for humans only cats.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Well, unfortunately, we have been using Feliway in our apartment. Our regular vet suggested it after the fire. Just put in 2 new refills this weekend. It's been in place for over two months and it doesn't seem to be working. I have used Rescue Remedy myself. I didn't know pets could use it. Any other suggestions?

I would still try the Feliway in the new house because all will be new to them and it may help the adjustment. Just being in a new envirornment will change how they get along. Make sure that the Bach Rescue remedy you use for the cats and dog does not have Xylitol or alcohol in it.

I think the change of homes will change their demenor. The last thing you can try is Composure chews. These are calming chews that are made in a formula for dogs and cats all natural and they may work.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss this further.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chloe. How is everything going?

Joan