Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

We took our 17 year old cat to the vet on Friday because he…

We took our 17...

We took our 17 year old cat to the vet on Friday because he was seemingly in pain while pooping the vet said she thought he had an infection in his anal glands and gave up antibiotics and onsior for him he has not pooped since Thursday night but is eating drinking and peeing should I still be worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Not that I can think of

3/18/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When did your comapnion last have bloodwork performed?

Were any x-rays performed at the time of the visit?

Is he on any medication aside from the abx and onsior?

When you last saw stool, was the consistency normal?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This summer he had blood work done and it was good no x ray no other meds last stool was a little soft but pretty normal

Meds like antibiotics and onsior could be causing constipation. This could also be compounded if he was having difficulty moving his bowels beforehand. I would plan to see your vet tomorrow, so long as other symptoms don't develop such as pain or trying to defecate without success. X-rays would be wise to entire that he doesn't have a condition such as megacolon. At home, I would try 2 tablespoons or regular whole milk or cream twice a day. If you have laxatone, this can also be given. Both will act as a mild laxative to help encourage stooling. If he is not back to having regular BMs by tomorrow he should be examined again and additional diagnostics performed.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you

You're welcome. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He ended up having to have an enema but is doing much better now
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse