Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My 19yo cat stopped eating and I took notice Feb 22. Took to…

Customer Question
My 19yo cat stopped eating...
My 19yo cat stopped eating and I took notice Feb 22. Took to vet, basic blood work came back good but didn’t opt for extra lab work or X-rays.. was prescribed orbax and that caused violent seizures. Stopped the orbax after two days of that. He ate a little bit of wet food and I began trying to force feed broth.. by March 7th he ate his last meal I’m aware of.. I tried removing him w several types of food and he’d eat nothing.. I work a lot and wasn’t available for constant observation but I believe by March 12th he still hadn’t eaten and now was not drinking.. I got him high protein paste and kitten milk replacement which I gave him but he drooled most of it up without swallowing and he died on March 13th laying in the sun while I was at work. I can not get over the guilt that I should have tried harder to make sure he wasn’t starving and thirsting to death as he would drink a little here and there. I guess I wish I knew if he suffered or what he ultimately died of.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Cat Vet: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

So, i am sorry for your loss......

Usually this type of situation happens due to some form of cancer and then eventual organ shut down. Once a kitty stops eating like you have described there is nothing that can be done for them. No amount of work you would have done would have helped.........unfortunately.....

Really the only thing that can be done when things get to this point is humane euthanasia........

Again, I am very sorry for your loss of your companion. Please let me know if you have other questions I can answer. I do check my computer nightly and will certainly get back to you.......Sincerely, DRB

I had him scheduled for the 14th and he went on his own while I was working a 12 hour shift. It was the vet who said his kidneys and such were fine so I thought I could keep him comfortable. Also forgot to mention he used to whine a lot over the last years but I hadn’t heard a peep in two months or so. I know I waited too long.. do you think he suffered painfully by not eating?

It is very hard for us to know what our patient's experience exactly due to an inability to communicate with them. It sounds to me like you did the best that you could....sometimes that is all we can do.....

Can I answer any other questions for you or help or support you in any manner?

WHAts the usual cause of losing its meow?

That typically happens when a kitty starts the dying process.......

They literally do not have the energy to even meow anymore......they reserve all energy only for vital functions....I hope that makes sense...

I am retiring for the night but feel free to leave any additional questions or concerns you may have here as I will be back online tomorrow night. Sincerely, DRB

I would very much appreciate it if you would rate me 5 stars for my very prompt and attentive service. And do let me know if you need any additional help! You can rate me in the top right corner of the page. Thank you very much! DRB

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. DrB

Please let me know if I can offer any additional assisatnce or support. Sincerely, DRB