Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Im pretty sure she has pneumonia I would like to know the…

Im pretty sure she...

Im pretty sure she has pneumonia I would like to know the cost of vaccines for pneumonia. Also my cat is very old she's 19 what are here chances of successfully recovering from pneumonia?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the pneumonia. What is the cat's name?

Cora

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cora?

She has joint pain but I have some medicine that put in her food for that. She has trouble pooping and she has begun to pee in the living room and not the lottery box.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Cora is showing signs of pneumonia. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Is Cora having difficulty breathing?

Her nose is all stuffed up with mucas
I don't want to call. Just like to know what my cats options are.

That's no problem. The phone call is automatically offered by the website. I did not offer it and I am able to answer your question with text chat only.

Ok sorry. So what are my options is this something that can be solved with a vaccine or at her age is this something that can't be overcome?

Unfortunately, there are no vaccinations for pneumonia. There is only treatment such as antibiotics, nebulizer therapy, and oxygen as needed. Older cats quite frequently have upper respiratory infections, so this very well could be the issue for Cora. A nebulizer can be purchased over-the-counter. It helps to keep the airways moistened, which helps to decrease inflammation. If you are observing green or yellow discharge from the nose then that most likely requires antibiotics. Saline drops applied in the nose can help to break up mucus as well, which will improve breathing effort. Lastly, you will want to count the resting respiratory rate. Normal for a cat is 30-50 breaths per minute. Count the number of breaths Cora takes in 30 seconds and then multiply that number by two. If you are getting more than 50 breaths per minute then she should be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible for oxygen treatment.

Does that help to answer your question?

What would the cost of the saline drops be?
Thank you it's very helpful I appreciate it . So this isn't something that should be life threatening even at her age?

The saline drops are available over-the-counter as well and the cost is about $7-10 for a small bottle

Here is an example:

https://www.target.com/p/saline-nasal-spray-1-5-fl-oz-up-up-153/-/A-11031026?sid=2463S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Health+Beauty+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Health+Beauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=s&device=c&location=9032435&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxeiu9-Pz2QIVgWh-Ch3BLgnQEAQYByABEgKGqPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If she is able to breathe at a normal rate then this will not be life threatening. If there is fluid in her lungs like what happens in pneumonia then it could be a dangerous situation. X-rays would be needed to determine if pneumonia is present, but hopefully this is just an upper respiratory issue like something that is only affecting her nasal passages.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Yeah it's just in her nose. She hasn't had any trouble breathing through her mouth

Good. Cats more commonly breathe out of their nose, so hopefully the treatment we discussed will get the nose to open up and get her breathing better.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian