My cat ate two of my dog’s chewable Cosequin DS tablets. Will it hurt him? Tigger and he’s 8. He’s very healthy

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My cat ate two of my dog’s chewable Cosequin DS tablets. Will it hurt him?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Tigger and he’s 8.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tigger?
Customer: No. He’s very healthy.
Answered by Dr. Gabby in 2 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Gabby
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

N​o, it will not hurt him and is not considered toxic to cats.

H​e could develop an upset stomach from eating something new.

Customer
He also ate a Benedryll 25 mg.

If that happens give him 1/4 of a 10mg Pepcid ac tablet which is a human over the counter stomach acid reducer. It can be given every 12 hours as needed.

Customer
Ok. Are there any emergency signs I should look for?

Putting him on a bland diet of plain cooked chicken or plain cooked ground turkey can be easier to digest. If he does not have any signs then you do not need to do anything out of the ordinary.

The Benadryl could make him sleepy or agitated. Sometimes a higher dose, which he had, can cause agitation.

Customer
Ok good. That makes me feel better. Thanks!

I would not expect emergency signs as he did not consume a toxic dose of anything.

S​igns he needs to see the vet are: Not eating for 24 hours, not drinking for 12 hours, unable to keep food or water down for 24 hours, blood in the vomit or stool, repeated watery diarrhea, so lethargic that will not get up.

Customer
Thank you-we’ll watch him.

My pleasure. Let me know if anything changes.

Read less
unlike
17 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Gabby
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Gabby
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.