Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My 11 month old cat was just diagnosed with triaditis due to…

Hello, my 11 month...

Hello, my 11 month old cat was just diagnosed with triaditis due to an ultrasound looking for blockages (none were found, we were concerned as he was munching on a sweater!) but they said there was significant inflammation of his organs, pancreas, liver and intestine. He was prescribed metronidazole, but my worry is his long-term lifespan and prognosis. He’s a happy boy and is very energetic and doesn’t appear to have symptoms, so I’m hopeful the prognosis is good.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

He does not appear to

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

He threw up some bits of sweater and we were concerned for foreign blockages so they did an ultrasound and found that he had this inflammation

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

Yes he ate a few scraps of fabric

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

No, happy 11mo old male

3/17/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Clover has been diagnosed with triaditis and is being treated with metronidazole. Thank you for providing the ultrasound results. What questions can I answer for you about this?

My question is, as he’s under a year old and doesn’t display any symptoms, with the medication and treatment is it feasible that he’ll live a long life? My vet didn’t give us a prognosis, and I’d like to know what to expect.

Oh yes, the prognosis is generally very good if the symptoms of the inflammatory bowel disease can be controlled. The primary problem is the inflammation in the small intestine, which causes inflammation of the pancreas and gall bladder. The first step is to see if metronidazole alone can resolve the inflammation in the small intestine. If that does not work then steroid therapy is usually needed. These cats live a typical long life with this condition.

That is very encouraging and wonderful to hear! It was by chance they caught it, he was not displayin any outward symptoms, it was to check for foreign blockages caused by some fabric he swallowed. Do I understand correctly that this is not curable, just something to maintain?

You are correct that it is lucky they found it by chance. This is not curable, but it is certainly manageable. You will want to monitor for episodes of hair balls, vomiting, or loss of appetite. That will tell you that it is not being managed. As long as those things are not being observed then the management doing well and the prognosis is very good.

Does that help to answer your question?

thank you very much!

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian