Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

He is restless, frequenting the litter box and his urine had…

He is restless, frequenting...

He is restless, frequenting the litter box and his urine had blood in it tonight. He is passing urine, but seems uncomfortable. It is almost midnight and his vet is closed. He ate food mixed with water and is drinking., trying to decide if we can wait to see the vet in the morning or head to er vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

Oliver age 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oliver?

He may be stressed, our 2nd cat has been aggressive towards him since the death of our 3rd cat.

3/15/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and I would like to assist you.

Is he passing urine when he goes in the box or just spotting?

If you feel between his back legs and a little in front do you feel his bladder which if full will feel like a water balloon.

Joan

It feels a little squishy like liquid could be there, but not full full. He is spotting when he pees, but did have more of a larger urine pass earlier. It was blood tinged. I gave him watered down wet food, he ate all. He finally is sleeping, but gets antsy if I leave him.
No need to call.
I think I'm going to take him into the emergency vet. I know male cats can have big isues if they get a blockage and I'm not going to sleep due to concern.
Thanks for your help.

This is a tough call. It sounds like he may block by tomorrow if he is not seen early in the morning. If he has settled and is not crying and showing pain laying down, he should be ok until morning.He is showing the onset of getting blocked and sounds like he may have an infection brewing too. If you have any plain cranberry juice in the house you can add it to some water and give via dropper or syringe. Carnberry has Vitamin C which makes the bladder inhospitable for bacteria.

At this point I think he can wait until morning since he is setttled and not whining in pain, but if he starts crying in pain when he goes to the box, then he will need to go to the ER, that means he is blocking up and cannot get any urine out.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Ok thank you!

I wanted to check in on your boy. How is he doing? Did they have to catheterizie him?

Joan

Vet checked, no infection or crystals. Seems to be related to stress, so he is on the mend. Thank you!

Glad he is doing better!

Joan