Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

He's not been eating last two days and I noticed a wound…

He's not been eating...

He's not been eating last two days and I noticed a wound like of pen c back by he's

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the cat bleeding a lot?

Looks like blood it is coming out of his pee pee, especially if and when I lift his leg... I say,YES it looks alot to me? We put dressing with medicine and ace wrap

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Tiger

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tiger?

He's not fixed and was outside for awhile Two days ago

3/14/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Hi, Deena. First things first, do NOT give aspirin at home. OTC human pain medication can be toxic to cats and in certain dosages can be life threatening.

Can you share pictures of the wound? I'm not sure what a "of pen C back" wound is.

Has he been examined by a veterinarian? Is he on any medication currently?

When did he last eat and drink normally?

No food ONLY water has he taken in,no meds for him,no , your my vet visit and here's the pics of situation.... maybe not..... can't get them from gallery!?;/
Or maybe, I can....
IMG_20180313_173550028.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180313_173652074.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180313_173620593.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180313_173949987.jpgIMG_201...jpg

I am seeing a small amount of blood near his genitals. The other pics don't seem to correlate with the situation. Are there others?

Can't get incoming calls,can only make out going calls....get texts, email,and messenger only
Didn't know he's been bleeding last two days? when changing his kennel I thought he had the runs till today ��

I am very concerned that the blood you're seeing from his genitals is due to a urinary tract infection. I can give you some steps to take at home but he truly needs to be seen by a veterinarian to have diagnostics performed such as a urinalysis and bloodwork. A determination needs to be made on whether or not there are urinary crystals or stones present, or just bacteria causing a UTI.

At home, you can add a few drops of cranberry juice to his water. Additionally, I would begin offering KMR and pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. This will keep up his caloric and fluid intake while he feels unwell. The longer he goes without consuming food normally the higher the risk for secondary complications like hepatic lipidosis, so it's very important to keep him eating as much as possible while he feels unwell.

What about chicken broth? would that be ok for food or does not count;like wet OR babyfood?

Chicken broth is not a food item, but it can help with fluid intake. You need nutrients from real foods to keep his caloric intake up. Wet food is also suitable.

Does he need a heating pad in his kennel,and lve had many cats and know about the diet and crystals...I'd say probably bacterial UTI..

No. He won't need a heating pad. He needs diagnostics to be sure. Bacteria can be present with crystals and with stones. Moreover, he's at an elevated risk for a blockage when he's passing blood in his urine. This condition can be life-threatening if a blockage occurs.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse