Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat gets a cramp in her right back leg when she jumps,

Customer Question
My cat gets a...

My cat gets a cramp in her right back leg when she jumps, what can I do to help her or give to her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Maggie?

4 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?

These cramps only start when the season starts changing to winter

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat
3/13/2018
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me more about the cramp you witness?

Has Maggie experienced any injury?

Have any diagnostics been performed, such as x-rays?

No X-rays has been done yet, she did pull a muscle a few years ago
The leg pulls up against the body, that she loses her balance it lasts for a few seconds then it’s fine again, it only happens when she jumps and only when the season start to change to winter or coolish weather

Unfortunately, OTC pain medications like aspirin, ibuprofen and acetaminophen are not options for cats and can be life-threatening if they are given. So, do not give her anything at home in an attempt to help her overcome the discomfort. Instead, I would give strong consideration to diagnostics for her. Although she's rather young it sounds like she may be experiencing some joint discomfort and may have early-onset arthritis. Bloodwork would be wise to ensure that this is not a symptom of electrolyte imbalance, as well.

If your companion is not already on a joint supplement, I would recommend starting one. My favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products. I would also recommend discussing with your vet the usage of NSAID/pain medication at home, as needed, to help if the joint supplement alone does not fully eliminate the cramps you're seeing.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Maggie doing today?