Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I'm planning on doing some wall painting and would like to…

Hello, I'm planning on doing some...
I'm planning on doing some wall painting and would like to know how long I need to keep my cats out of the area being painted. I will be using Ecos paints. Here is a link, and toward the bottom of the page is a Health and Safety FAQ:https://www.ecospaints.net/faq.html
I asked the company, but I'd like to confirm, that it is OK to return the cats to the room I am painting (they would be kept out by a baby gate) after the paint is dry to the touch, and that it is fine for them to breath in the air (windows open) while I am painting since it is a baby gate and not a solid door keeping them out. Ecos representative says both are fine, but just want to be sure.
3/13/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your cats and the safety of this paint.

Please give me a few minute to review the link you sent and then to type a response for you. Thanks for your patience, Deb

Thanks.

After reviewing this product, I would agree with the Ecos rep that it should be safe to allow your cats access to this room after the paint is dry to the touch. With windows open which will provide adequate circulation, I wouldn't expect any respiratory issues even if they do inhale any fumes which might be emitted.

If you wanted to be extra safe, I might wait a few hours for any residual fumes which might be present to dissipate but this may be over-kill.

This looks like a safe product for not only you and your family but for your cats as well.

I hope this helps, Deb

Thanks, ***** ***** I think this is also safe, based on your answer about the walls: I am painting my kitchen cabinets, one at a time (maybe one every couple of days) with the same paint, and under the same conditions, that is, cats behind a baby gate, window open, and they are blocked from the kitchen. Actually, I now no longer let them in the kitchen at all as they get into mischief, jumping on counters, stove, etc. So, this, I would think, is fine, right?
By the way, the paint has no odor, so that's a plus.
They will be watching me from behind the baby gate, but again, the windows will be open.

You're welcome.

The problem with your cats and the kitchen is one I face with my dogs so baby gates everywhere!

I think what you've planned sounds fine. Even though this is an odor-less paint (which I read about on the link you sent), it still seems to me that there would be something which cats (and dogs for that matter) might be able to detect since their smell is so much more sensitive than ours. I still don't think this is an issue for them, though.

I'm sure they'll be supervising the paint job and more than happy to point out any spots you've missed:)

deb

Ha Ha! Dr. Deb, I thought I was the only one with baby gates all over the house! But I am so happy to have them as they have given me back my freedom. I can go from room to room without closing and opening doors every second. And I don't have to worry that I dropped something on the kitchen floor that could harm them.
Thank you very much for your help, and I hope you have a good day.

I tell people that I live in a gated home but most have no idea what I truly mean by this:)

Glad I could help and I hope the rest of your day is a good one as well:) Deb

LOL! I love that one: gated home! This is the closest I'll get to one. :-)

That makes two of us!

Hi Joan,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Hi Dr. Deb,
That is nice of you! Everything is fine. Thank you for asking.

Glad to hear it; thanks for taking the time to send me an update:) Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian