Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat Gretchen is 17. She has a swollen sac like thing next…

My cat Gretchen is...

My cat Gretchen is 17. She has a swollen sac like thing next to her pee pee hole. She’s eating good and still using the litter box. Doesn’t act any different

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gretchen?

I don’t think so. I have a pic of the spot if it helps. We have a vet appointment this week

3/12/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Veterinarian

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

I'd love to see that pic.

Is she 100% indoors?

Do you have other cats in the home and if so do they get along?

She is 100% indoors. I only have her. She’s on cd science diet food as well.

Okay, so we can rule out a bite wound abscess.

I have a hunch what this might be, but I need to see it before I stick my foot in my mouth.

Send **

Nope

ok let me peek and then I'll comment

Ok

Oh wow. It looks like a tumor of some sort.

I am glad you have an appointment scheduled. They will probably need to at the very least do a needle aspirate biopsy and maybe a wedge biopsy to figure out what the heck that is.

I have been in practice 36 years and have never seen a vulvar mass in a cat. First time for everything, I guess.

Oh she's beautiful!

Oh dang it. So could be cancer

I'm sorry but yes, it could be. But if it is, tumor type matters. And grade matters.

So don't panic yet.

It also could be a cyst. Women can get cysts in that area and maybe cats can too??? Though I have never heard of such.

Already been in a panic. I’ve had her 17 grars Since I was 20.
Doesn’t seem to be bothering her. She acts the same
She has urinary infections offen. Could that have something to do with it

Well 17 is a good long life. So you are in the "icing on the cake" stage and at this point it's all about quality of life and whether or not you can help her be comfy and happy.

Are you in an urban area with a nearby surgery specialist?

~~~~~

Oh that sure could have to do with it. Interesting.

Oklahoma City
She started having infections when she was 11. So just permanently put her on cd food. Once she had bladder stones.

Well if it is a tumor, you should have access to both oncology and surgery specialists.

My favorite surgery professor in vet school was from Oklahoma. He's long gone now but trained many crack surgeons.

She had bloodwork abt 8 months ago. Everything was fantastic

Oh that's interesting.

Part of me wonders if a little trauma from bladder catheterization might have caused a cyst to develop.

I am really curious about this case!

I like the sound of that more than the x word.
She’s had blood in her urine several times with these urinary infections. They give antibiotics and anti inflammatory shot and pills

Yeah.

But even if it's a cancer, some of them are highly resectable and some respond to chemo which can be surprisingly uneventful in some cases.

There's also the vet school in Stillwater. They would be great if this is a really oddball thing that nobody local wants to deal with.

I actually take her to the vet in Stillwater

Oh how perfect.

I went to Colorado State and to this day the best routine vet care in the state is found in Ft Collins since so many vets stay there after graduation.

You couldn't be in a better place.

I’m truly hoping it’s only a cyst from bladder infections

OSU vet school website for your info

Me, too. They can tell with a needle stick (which she will need drugs for, as you might imagine). Cats don't like their hoohah messed with AT ALL.

Yeah she gives me bad looks when I took a pic of it lol

LOLOL, I bet.

Thank u for your help

Well once she's been seen you can come back here and give me an update. Just bookmark this chat page for easy return.

YVW, happy to help.

Once you're done here please remember to rate my response so I can be credited with helping you.

I'm dying to know what this one is. Best JustAnswer/Pearl case ever!

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Veterinarian
The vet took a sample Of some cells to send off. She said it didn’t feel really hard so that was a good thing. She put on an anabiotic and will wait for the results

Glad you got her in right away. Hope it's benign.

Hopefully it is just something to do with her urinary infections that she has Frequently. The vet said it could be an infection and that she’s lIckes her vulva So much and its swelled up. I’m preparing for the worst. But praying for the best

Yep, cats are famous for licking things too much and causing problems.

Hi. Got results today. It’s lymphoma. :(

Oh I'm sorry to heat that.

BUT I will say that if a cat has to have a non-resectable cancer, that's the one you want to have. It tends to be VERY responsive to chemo (which typically includes prednisolone, our feline veterinary silver bullet). And remember that it's all about quality of life. We don't torture our patients half to death with chemo that makes them horribly ill just to "buy them time".

So I recommend throwing drugs at this thing.

I have a patient who had a lymphoma crop up on her nose, of all places, years ago. She keeps trucking along on prednisolone, after having only done half her chemo protocol for various reasons. No sign of recurrence. I expect her to live a normal life span.

She’s 17. Is it worth doing chemo?? How long will it really prolong her life?!
My vet said steroids and she prob had 1-2 months

Oh heck yes. As long as she's not fighting any other bad, chronic diseases why not?

This one is always worth treating. The worst that can happen is it doesn't respond to treatment.

What’s the cost of cat chemotherapy??

Meh. They have NO idea how long she has.

Are her kidneys in good shape? No hyperthyroidism? Eating well?

~~~~~

That would depend on what protocol she's on. And what part of the US you are in. And how big the bank payments are at your vet clinic.

At the very least, put her on prednisolone. But I strongly recommend consulting an internal medicine specialist for REAL treatment recommendations. And they are the ones to discuss costs and pros and cons with.

She has chronic kidney infections.

Are you sure kidney? Perhaps just bladder?

That's the only potential limiting factor right up front.

An internist can assess the various risks and let you know what the real outlook is.

But I never just look at a numerical age and say "nope, old cat, don't bother".

She’s on cd food.

That is what we use for urinary crystals that irritate the bladder.

Ok. It much be bladder. But she gets them often

I wonder how much of that problem was in fact due to this tumor growing in her distal urinary tract?

Besure you don't give her anything with fish in it. Fish sets cats up for major urinary trouble.

We had blood work 8-9
Months ago. Everything looked great
Ok

Good luck and et me know what you wind up doing.