Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have a male 3 1/2 tuxedo cat who up until recently had a…

I have a male 3...
I have a male 3 1/2 tuxedo cat who up until recently had a black nose. Now it’s getting more pink. Almost like the pigment is being rubbed off. He lives with two other cats and is still as active as ever. Eats and drink water regularly.
Is this something I should be worried about?
3/10/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Veterinarian

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

Can you post a photo of his nose (close up) here for me to have a peek at?

Peeking. BRB

Definitely odd.

Can you get a really close shot? I need to see what the skin looks like from very close.

Handsome boy!

Did the spot gradually get paler and paler but has always been this size?

Or did it start out as a tiny spot this pale and it's getting bigger?

Also, has it at any point looked red, inflamed, or raw?

I just noticed it one day about a month ago. It hasnt looked red or inflammed. It literally looks like the pigment has just been rubbed off. I’m wondering if this is concerning enough to take him to his regular vet.

It's not an emergency, but I think a visit, if for no other reason than to have them get a close-up detailed photo for their files to monitor its progress over time.

This may very well be a harmless depigmentation that can happen randomly. We do, however see very rare cases of immune system disorders that can cause pigment changes. You vet may want to do a little skin biopsy.

The pigment goes down all the way through the skin, so they can't just rub it off. It would be quite raw if theyrubbed deep enough to do that.

It's definitely puzzling.

Oh that's interesting. It is also smaller.

This one is a "zebra". Very interesting.

Does he have anything going on on his lips or inside his mouth or on his paw pads pigment-wise??

Veterinary saying: "When you hear hoofbeats coming around the corner don't look for a zebra."

Another vet saying: "Common things are common."

He has an appt. for Monday. Thank you.

Sounds good. I'd love to hear what your local vet thinks.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Veterinarian
The vet agreed that it was just depigmentation. It’s not inflamed or bothering him so we’re just going to monitor.

Glad to hear this. Sometimes there is just no substitute for getting eyeballs up real close to our patients.