Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cats has been vomiting for a couple hours now in the

My cats has been...

My cats has been vomiting for a couple hours now in the night. Mostly just bile coming up now. Earlier in the evening she peed on the bath mat. Very unlike her. She’s been prone to UTI problems in the passed so I thought at first she was having urinary problems but wasn’t doing her usual cries or licking like she has in the past with urinay problems. Now with all the vomiting I’m really worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

I don’t think so, she’s almost 10 years old if that helps

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She does have a special dry urinary SO formula food. With another 2 cats in the home, I decided to mix in some general brand dry in with her food to stretch her food as it’s so impossible to feed them different foods.
As soon as I noticed a couple dribbled pee markings the last 24 hours I immediately stopped doing it And won’t try that again. I guess all cats get the pricey food!I had a couple pills left from the last time she had a urinary infection so after she fill out peed on the rug last night I gave one to her, hoping it to help until I get her into the vet today- then she was puking all night until she had nothing left to bring up and was heaving just bile.It’s 7am now and she is seeming much more herself, watching her closely until the vet opens at 9 and thinking I will still be making her an appointment. What do you think?

I apologize for the delay in hearing back from me. I was on overnight to answer questions and didn't hear back within 2 hours, so I signed off.

Anytime cats are feeling unwell, yes, it's wise to have a veterinary examination performed and treatment.

That said, if you must treat from home, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. If you need help finding a location that can see your pet (even just to keep on hand), I can help. I’ll need you to provide your location as the website does not give us this.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi thanks you for the follow up!She is doin better- we did go to the vet and she was given antibiotics for a urinary infection. Thank you for all your help the other nightLooks like all cats will have to be on the Urinary food. They suggested adding wet urinary food just to her diet and play with stretching the dry food with generic for the other two cats. It will be a work in progress!
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse