Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My Savannah had kittens 1 week ago and one of the kittens…

My Savannah had kittens 1...
My Savannah had kittens 1 week ago and one of the kittens has a protruding rectum that I noticed last night. I attached a picture. I'm sure I should take it to the vet but I am hesitant to take a week old kitten on a road trip to the vet. Can you give me some guidance?
3/9/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

It certainly looks like this kitten is having diarrhea. I cannot see prolapsed tissue very obviously from the picture. Can you share another picture of the kitten after being cleaned up? I'd like to see the tissue specifically. If this is protruding, though, yes, the kitten does need to see a vet regardless of its age.

It certainly looks irritated but I don't see a prolapse based on the pictures. This may be easier to appreciate in person. I do think a fecal analysis if diarrhea is occurring would be wise. The queen and her young can all go in for a visit if she is nursing more than one. Your vet will likely only want to examine those who are having diarrhea. At this age, it could be due to many things from bacterial imbalance to parasites. Some kittens are more prone to problems than others and with diarrhea we certainly can see prolapse. If this occurs at any time, an exam is definitely warranted and an ER visit encouraged if it happens over a night, weekend or holiday. Better safe than sorry on the smallest tykes. They can lose stability fast when major ailments like this occur.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kitten 1. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy