Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

He has a eye infection and I don't know how to treat it I…

He has a eye...

He has a eye infection and I don't know how to treat it I ran out of eye drops for him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's 2

3/9/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Veterinarian

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

Is this an eye infection that your local vet diagnosed and sent medication home with you?

When was the medication prescribed?

Exactly what medication are we discussing?

Did the veterinarian who prescribed the eye drops make a recommendation on when you should bring Fatty back for a recheck?

No he's been getting them since he was. Kitten this is the 3/4 I have used medicine from the vet but it doesn't help at all I keep wiping it with different clothes soaked in warm water and I make sure to keep it clear... If the medicine isn't working then what should I do it will be infected for a week or two then go away but I wanna get rid of it be for it gets even worst plus I have a 3 year old he loves sleeping next to an I don't need her to get it because I got it one time and I went thru heck and almost lost my eye sight

What is the exact medication that the vet prescribed?

It's the same eye medicine my doctor gave me ...it's called sulfacetamide sodium ophthalmic solution

Ah.

Well can you perhaps post a photo here of your cats eyes for me to have a look at? Primary bacterial eye infections are very rare in the cat. I am wondering if he might actually have a problem with feline herpesvirus (FHV), which is the most common cause of non-traumatic eye disease in the cat. And don't worry, it's not contagious to humans if that's what he is dealing with.

I have to find him and I'll post a picture hold on please

Okay

I'll peek and then comment.

Hard to tell much from that, but he's clearly got some discomfort.

Does he do any sneezing?

Have you seen any runny nose?

Does the other eye sometimes have a similar problem?

No none... his eye is dripping that's it and sorry he wouldn't let me get a good picture
I just noticed it today
I haven't been home til a short time ago I noticed after work

Well my gut feeling based on 36 years of experience with cat eyes is that he may very well have chronic FHV ocular disease. Antibiotics do not work for viruses, which is why it keeps coming back.

Untreated FHV can cause severe complications in the eyes leading to blindness, so it's important that it be handled properly long-term.

The most common complication is corneal ulcer, which your vet can screen for in the exam room.

I always put my FHV kitties on a long-term lysine supplement which knocks the virus down but of course can't cure it (it's HERPES). I use Viralys powder (made by Vetoquinol), 1 scoop in a little canned food, twice a day for at least two months to start, and then a gradual decrease as able. Viralys is available in pet stores and online without prescription.

Some of these cats wind up needing extra help from a topical antiviral eye drop but this approach is very expensive and not usually necessary.

So you need to head back to your vet to get that cornea stained to make sure there is no ulcer or sequestrum or uveitis or other dangerous complications, and then try lysine. It's an amino acid (nutritional supplement) and there is no down side - I never see any side effects at the recommended dose.

If you have a veterinary eye specialist in your area, that's always an option if he doesn't respond well to the lysine.

I don't like sulfa drugs in cat eyes due to occasional hypersensitivity. My antibiotic of choice in cat eyes is tobramycin. But most these kitties don't need it.

Thank you so much for your help I'll call the vet tomorrow to set up his appointment .

YVW. Happy to help.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need further clarification.

And please be sure to rate my response so I can be credited with helping you. Afterwards you can still bookmark this chat window and return in a couple of days with an update.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Veterinarian