Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have 3 cats. Ollie is 8, Blue is 5 and Charlie is 4 1/2.

Customer Question
I have 3 cats...

I have 3 cats. Ollie is 8, Blue is 5 and Charlie is 4 1/2. When we got Charlie he was 6 weeks old and Blue just adored him. Followed him everywhere and took care of him like he was her own. Covered his feces in the litter box for him and would cuddle and clean him. When Charlie was 4 months old we went away for a week and had our good friend come and feed the cats. She also stays for a while and plays with them. She herself is an animal lover. When we got back we noticed a month later that Blue was not liking Charlie at all. She hisses and fights with him if he even looks at her. Charlie is a sweet boy. Very affectionate and silly but also gets into a lot of trouble. All he wants is to play or be friends with Blue. He and Ollie get along famously. Blue is also very skittish. She is constantly looking over her shoulder and is afraid of everyone except my 12 year old son who can pick her up and rub her belly. Blue seems to like children and kittens. A few months ago Blue was losing hair in one spot so I took her to our vet. We ran all sorts of test and found nothing medically wrong so I think it is stress. Blue used to be so lovable and cuddly. Friends wanted to take her home because she was so personable. She was even like that when we first got Charlie. Blue hisses at Ollie but not as vicious or as much as with Charlie.. I really would like to know what to do to help Blue. Thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ollie?

Ollie is fat. She is a sweet heart. Very affectionate. Follows you around meowing to be pet. She also loves to be brushed. My biggest concern is Blue and how she is treating Charlie. It is so strange that it like happened over night,. And how afraid she is of people. We are so good to the cats. They are spoiled but we love them so much. My son is always hugging them. Ollie and Charlie sleep with me and Blue sleeps with my son.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat
3/9/2018
Cat Vet: Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry that Blue seems to be having such a rough time getting along with Charlie. She seems to be stressed about something. Perhaps Charlie smelled different after he got back from his trip and she has been upset with him since then. The stress may even be the cause of her hair loss, if the hair loss was due to nervous overgrooming. I have a couple of suggestions you can try to restore peace. One is that you can buy a multi-cat Feliway diffuser. If you have a large home, I would buy a few so you have enough coverage. You can also try putting a calming collar on Blue. There is one called Nurture Calm that can be bought online for about $15. If neither of these works, I would talk to your vet about putting Blue on an anti-anxiety medication.