Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have an 8 month old calico. She is around 55 to 58 weeks…

Customer Question
I have an 8...

I have an 8 month old calico. She is around 55 to 58 weeks pregnant. The past two days she has been sleeping a lot and looks a little disoriented. She is still eating, drinking water, and using the litter box. She was a little shakey a little while ago. We felt the kittens move in her tummy. But today she has bee. Laying around and she looks like she is pain but she doesn't meow. Please help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?

I didnt mean weeks I meant days. 55 to 58 days. Her name is Piper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Piper?

We found her and her sister. I dont think she was pregnant then I think it happened like a week after because she appeared to be in heat. She has not been looking for a nest but either lays on a dining room chair or up on my daughter's bed. We did foster 2 new cats about a week ago.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat
3/8/2018
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 5 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Ok thank you.

Hello, again.

I'm sorry you're worried about Piper. A cat's gestation period is usually around 59-63 days, so she should be ready to go into labor, soon. Behavior preceding labor, usually includes acting restless or nervous or more affectionate to you. She seems to be acting the opposite, acting lethargic. This may indicate she picked up an illness from the 2 cats you're fostering, if she had contact with them.

Does her entire body feel much warmer than usual? If so, she may have a fever due to an infection. Normal temperature for cats is between 100.5 to 102.5. If you have a digital thermometer or a glass rectal thermometer, you can take her temperature by lubricating the thermometer and inserting it into her anus about 1/2 an inch. Hold it there for about 2 minutes (the glass one) and then, read it. If she has 103 or over, she will need to be seen in person by an ER vet, asap.

As long as the kittens are still moving, that's great, but it's possible she could have developed a serious uterine infection called pyometra. This is usually accompanied by a creamy off-white discharge from the vulva.

Set up her nesting area for her and make sure it's in a dimly lit, warm, quiet area of the house. A corner of an unused room or the floor of a closet may be good options.

She's quite young to become a mother, and sometimes, being a kitten, herself, she might need your help with her labor and delivery, plus, caring for her litter. Here is more helpful information:

http://www.2ndchance.info/felinelabor.htm

-----------

If she continues to act so quiet and lethargic, I would recommend having her seen in person by a vet, to make sure everything is going well with her pregnancy and that she hasn't contracted an illness that might require medication (safe for the kittens, of course).

I hope all will be well with Piper and she has a beautiful, healthy litter!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Best regards,

Cher

Thank you. I will check her temp and take her in first thing in the morning

You're most welcome; it's my pleasure to be of help to you and Piper! It sounds like you have a good plan.

Please take a moment to rate positively (5 stars), as that is the only way the website will credit me for my time and assistance in helping you. Thank you so much!

Please keep me posted on how things are going and I'll check back with you in a few days to see how Piper is coming along.

Best regards,

Cher

Hi again,

Just checking in with you to see how Piper is doing, as I'm concerned for her. What did the vet tell you, if you've already had her seen?

Thanks,

Cher