Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I just moved into a new home, and found my cat playing with…

Hi! I just moved...

Hi! I just moved into a new home, and found my cat playing with a small piece of insulation. That was the only piece, I think she thought it was her favorite toy mouse :( I immediately got rid of it, but should I be concerned about her skin and/or lungs?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

We have a vet appointment scheduled in two days just for a routine check-up and blood work. She has had kidney issues in the past but numbers look good now, that is unrelated though.

3/8/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

I woud would wash off the pads of the feet so if she licks her feet ater batting it she is not getting any in her mouth.. The insulation should not bother the lungs unless ground up. Overall all I would say your cat should not have any ill effects if she was just batting it and did not try to ingest it.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Okay, just some water and towel her paws off?

Yes, the water to clean the pads and then just dry with a towel. She should be fine. My biggest concern would be if she had ingested it, and then we would have to take some measures to protect her stomach, but if she played with it she should be fine. Most cats are smart and would not try and eat it, but would bat it around.

Joan

Yeah I don’t believe she would eat it, I did the best I could wiping paws until she got agitated! She is eating food now so I think all is good - thank you very much for the response!

You are welcome! Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan