Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My eighteen+ year old cat has diabetes. The media also

Customer Question
Good morning. My...

Good morning. My eighteen+ year old cat has diabetes. The media also regime would be traumatic and we want to keep her comfortable at home until she passes. Please suggest how this can be done and what to expect. Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the cat's name?

Spirit- we have already been to the vet - he diagnosed her.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat
3/6/2018
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 month ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you clarify what "The media also regime would be traumatic"?

Have you considered having a mobile vet come to your home for end-of-life services?

Is she being treated for diabetes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry- I️ meant the medical regimen for diabetes would be too traumatic. No treatment planned but since she was diagnosed last week I have changed her diet to high-protein low-carb. BTW she was diagnosed by visual inspection and discussion. Thank you for your time.

I would recommend that you have bloodwork and urinalysis performed to determine if this truly is diabetes and, if so, just how progressed the condition is. At 18, other conditions are apt to exist to such as liver disease, kidney disease and hyperthyroidism. Diabetic cats can live for years without treatment before they eventually succumb to the effects of the illness. Were you seeing any initial symptoms which made your vet believe this was diabetes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Excessive thirst and urination. Lost feeling in rear legs.

This can happen with other conditions, as well, such as the aforementioned kidney disease, as well. Bloodwork and urinalysis would be the ideal approach to diagnosis to determine what your companion is experiencing. Only then will you be able to expect to determine what the future holds. Diabetic cats can sustain themselves for quite some time with just a diet change (transient diabetes might also be a potential for your companion). On the other hand, however, organ failure from kidney disease would tend to be more rapid in decline if no treatment were provided to slow the progression of the illness.

Checking in. How is Spirit doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse