Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Anxious behavior and spraying in the house. Kidney and

Anxious behavior and spraying...

Anxious behavior and spraying in the house. Kidney and bladder have been ruled out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Rusty. He's between 11 and 14. We got hin.in 2009 he was at least 2 when we got him but could have been as old as 4. He's always sprayed periodically but he's worse this year than ever. Vet ruled out any medical reasons.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rusty?

He's fixed but sexually aggressive to our younger female cat. We are currently having home renovations done which is exacerbating his spraying

3/6/2018
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back, shortly.

Hello, again.

Was Rusty anxious and spraying before you got your younger female and before you started the renovations in the home?

Did the vet ever do a urinalysis and/or urine culture in the past?

Any other changes in his environment?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to compose and send your answer.

Best regards,

Cher

Hello again,

I was hoping for some additional information from you, before I posted my answer, but I will send your answer now.

If Rusty was checked thoroughly for a UTI, bladder and/or kidney infection, with a urinalysis and urine culture and nothing was found, that's good. However, there is a condition called idiopathic interstitial cystitis, which carries all the symptoms of a urinary infection, but with no bacteria present. It is very painful and 'flare-ups' can occur at any time. This is typically associated with stress, and as you mentioned, he is under stress, now, due to the home renovations. Discuss this with your local vet and see if some pain medication can be prescribed, to make him more comfortable. Here is more information:

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/feline-interstitial-cystitis-what-cat-owners-should-know-about-urinary-tract-issues

---------

Also, make sure he drinks a lot of water to flush out his system. A cat drinking fountain would encourage him to drink more, because cats love drinking from moving water sources. You can find all types of fountains in your pet supply stores and/or online.

Something that will help with stress is a product named Feliway. Here is more information:

https://www.feliway.com/us#redirected

-----------

The 'sexual' behavior you see from Rusty, toward your younger girl, is not sexual at all; it is a sign of dominance. Male cats (and females, too) will mount another cat and bite their neck to immobilize them, to show who's 'top cat.'

If Rusty is truly 'spraying'--standing upright, tail up, quivering, and spraying on vertical surfaces, this is different from inappropriate urination, in which the cat will squat as usual, like he's in his box, and urinate in inappropriate places. Spraying is territorial behavior and with the renovations going on and any stress in his life, in the past, this may be the cause of the spraying. There is a medication which can calm him down and cut down on the spraying, called Clomicalm; it can be bought online with a prescription and/or gotten from your vet.

https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/clomipramine-clomicalm-anafranil-for-dogs-and-cats/

-------------

I would recommend another visit to the vet for further tests and examination, to find the reason for Rusty's spraying and then have it treated. In male cats with urinary problems, a urethral blockage is always possible, and this can be a life-threatening condition, needing immediate treatment, so try to bring Rusty in to the vet, asap. Here is more information for you to read, and it includes info about Interstitial Cystitis, too:

https://www2.vet.cornell.edu/departments-centers-and-institutes/cornell-feline-health-center/health-information/feline-health-topics/feline-lower-urinary-tract-disease

--------------

To thoroughly clean the areas where he's spraying, use an enzyme-based cleaner for organic stains/odor, called Nature's Miracle, Zero Odor, Urine Off, or many others available at your pet supply stores. If the stain and odor are completely gone, it will deter him from returning to those areas.

I hope all will be well with Rusty and please let me know how he's doing and the results of any tests the vet may perform. Thanks!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Best regards,

Cher

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You so much! I apologize for not respondingbearlier I am overwhelmed at Borland with the renovations as well as dealing with my cat.

You're most welcome! No apologies necessary. It's my pleasure to be of help and I understand you have a lot to deal with right now.

Since my answer was helpful, please take a moment to rate it positively (with 5 stars), so the website will credit me for my time and assistance. Thank you.

I hope all will be well with your kitty and once the renovations are finished, you'll love it and it will all have been worth the trouble.

Best regards,

Cher

Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Thank you very much for your excellent rating; it is highly appreciated!

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist