Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My 5year old Mainecoon has stopped eatin g and drinking. He…

My 5year old Mainecoon...

My 5year old Mainecoon has stopped eatin g and drinking. He has a smoky tar odor to his fur. We took him to a vet friday and sunday. blood work came back ok. They gave him fluids and antibiotics. He smelled before being seen.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Aslin. He looks like a lion. I love him and I'm so worried. Thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Aslin?

They checked him pr He has a elevated temp

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/19/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Did Aslin ingest any tar or non food item?

what was his temp?

what is his usual food?

He is indoors. I order his food through Royal Canin specifically for Maine Coons. He’s fussy and only eats his food

thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer

No I just wanted a third opinion. Already spent over $500.
The vet only said he had a elevated temp. Didn’t tell us what it was

Dear *****ia,

That smokey, Tar smell can be due to a urinary tract infection.

https://ehealthforum.com/health/topic32305.html

Esteemed authorities believe this is caused by a dry food det.

Please read article www.catinfo.org

Give Aslin 4 drops of cranberry juice, by dropper for ten days to change the PH of his urine.

Get human baby food chicken or turkey with no onion powder,, canned cat food people tuna in water.

If he is nauseated give him one quarter of a ten mg pepcid ac. wait 30 minutes and offer warm baby or cat food.

You can dropper feed diluted food to get him started. Insert dropper in side of mouth where thereis a space between his teeth,

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a dish and let him lap it up.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Kind regards,

Terri

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert