Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have a 13 year old cat that was recently diagnosed with…

I have a 13...

I have a 13 year old cat that was recently diagnosed with stomatitis. I have had her to a regular vet, she has had a antibiotic shot and a steroid shot and she is comfortable for now. Is here any holistic treatments for this.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Momma Lucy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

She has been completely healthy up to this point. She was a pregnant stray when I found her in 2007.

I have just started Hoxey .25ml 2 x a day and Omega Oil 1 ml once a day. I started probiotics to off set the antibiotic and L-lysine once a day.
2/19/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Okay
No phone calls please. I have already spent a great deal of money to try and find answers for this. I am also switching their diet to a raw diet and that is an expense as well. I just want to know if there is more that I can be doing for her. This has been stressful for both her and myself.

I am so sorry Momma Lucy has this trouble.

The supplements you have started will not hurt her BUT the only permanent cure is removal of her teeth.

We usually remove all the teeth from these patients because dental abscesses lead to oral legions.She is better off without the teeth because once the bacteria from decaying teeth gets into he bloodstream it can affect all the cats organs and cause kidney or liver failure as well as cardiac issues.Cats that have Stomatitis, which is a severe inflammation of the mouth have a lot of pain and often stop eating. That is a different condition than normal gingivitis which is treatable by dental scaling. However, Stomatitis is NOT treatable so annual cleanings are a waste of time and money because the oral bacteria enters the stomach and makes the cat extremely ill. Antibiotics and steroids are often used.We usually recommend removal of all teeth for best results. Then the cat lives a normal healthy life eating soft food.She does not even miss the teeth.Here is info you can print and refer to.http://www.thensome.com/felinehealthlinks.htmhttp://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=368http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_plasma_cell_stomatitis.htmlhttp://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/9352/stomatitis.html If she is healthy and her blood work is good she will be able to tolerate the dental procedure.Otherwise antibiotics and supplements can be a temporary fix.Please let me know how she is doing.I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.Kind regards,Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

thanks so much for your rating,

there is NO FURTHER CHARGE so please feel free to reply anytime

I wish the news was better. Her teeth are all perfectly healty and have already been cleaned. She is not a young girl and putting her through such a traumatic experience is not something I was wanting to do.

I completely understand.Have the vet script 21 consecutive days of clindamycin ad only remove decayed teeth.

let me know how she is afterwards

Ok thank you.

you are more than welcome. it is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.