Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

She has given birth to 2 kittens while I was at work so I…

She has given birth...

She has given birth to 2 kittens while I was at work so I unfortunately came home to the 2 babies dead on the floor...but my cat has this weird lump now in her tummy and I'm not sure if it's normal for her to have it or if it's another kitten getting ready to come out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the kitten's name?

Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fee?

This is her first litter and she's about 9 or 10 months old

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/19/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

I am so sorry Feefi lost two babies. The lump is a swollen uterine horn so she may still have live kitens.

Cats have two uterine horns so mommy can have kittens in each.The nursing by the baby should bring on further contractions so you want to encourage that. Also allow her to eat the afterbirth as that brings on contractions as well

It can actually take 30 hours or more for a cat to complete a four kitten(average) delivery. When she is done she will want to eat as they feel starved. She CAN have more up to 30 hours later.

A cats appetite is the best barometer of her health because if they are sick or in pain, they will not eat.

A baby happy and nursing indicates she is producing good milk.

I would not worry unless she appears upset,has pale gums, seems in pain, has an odorous discharge or another several hours goes by with obvious labor and no production of babies. Otherwise she should be fine.

Sometimes cats can develop uterine infection, the symptoms are:

pain, fever, odorous discharge, in appetite and pale gums.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1366&articleid=919

Give her some time, if she is still in labor she will not eat so you will know

Please let me know what hapens....I am praying for live babies.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread

Kind regards,

Terri

Hello Terri,
Thank you so much for replying. Fee Fi has eaten 2 times now in front of me and is actually currently laying on my lap happily purring. She doesn't seem to be in any type of pain or discomfort. If the lump doesn't go away within a couple of days should I take her into the vet? Or would it be wise to wait like a week?

You do not need to worry unless Feefi stops eating or develops an odorous discharge, The lump can be a uterine horn or a retained afterbirth or even more kittens.

Just keep an eye on her. If she mated late in her heat more babies are still possible because a cat ovulates every time she mates,

I would have her seen next week just to verify all is well.

Please keep in touch.

Best wishes,

Terri

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Thanks so much for your rating. There is NO FURTHER CHARGE so please feel free to reply anytime.

BEST wishes,

Terri