Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I couldn’t find my cat yesterday and I finally found him…

I couldn’t find my...

I couldn’t find my cat yesterday and I finally found him hiding under the bed and he wouldn’t come out. He finally came out but he’s limping on his back right leg and he won’t let me come near him. I can’t get close to him to check his leg before he runs (hobbles) away.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did your cat have a fall?

Not that I’m aware of

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

He’s less than a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

His name is Branch

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Branch?

Like I said- I have no idea what happened- he is an indoor cat.

2/17/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

I am sorry Branch got hurt/

Can he put any weight on the leg or does he just hold it up?

He puts a little weight in it when he walks but he is definitely limping

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. Please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Branch was hiding because he was in pain and did not know who to blame. If he can put any weight on it at all, it is not likely broke. So an abscess, So, we need to check for an abscess, bite, sting, stuck item etc. If nothing is found hen a sprain is most likely.

I know hes upset right now so let him calm down. Give him some canned food or tuna to make him happy.

Then give him one mg per lb of benedryl to make him sleepy OR 3 mg of melatonin to calm him.Wait 20 minutes and palpate the leg to check for wound, injury or swelling,

If you see nothing apply a cold compress 5 minutes on and ten off for an hour, Then switch to warm for same intervals, c

Continue with the one that gives him the most relief.

Do not give him any human OTCs for pain or swelling as most are toxic to cats.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Kind regards,

Terri

If I don’t do anything for a day or two and make sure he is eating and drinking- will that be ok?
He isn’t crying or anything and seems to be ok just hiding out- he will come out if no one is around
Regular Benedryl?

yes, as long as he eats and drinks he should be just fine.

regular benedryl, if you have a 25 mg tablet give him half because the liquid could make him drool

nothing for pain?

no because human pain killers are toxic to cats.

the compresses will relieve pain.

let me know if you see anything upon rxam

Thanks

you are more than welcome. it is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.

this is a ONE TIME fee so feel free to reply and let me know how hes doing

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert