Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My female cat who is about 6 years old seems to be in pain…

Customer Question
My female cat who...

My female cat who is about 6 years old seems to be in pain whenever we touch her left side, she is overweight. I’ve been trying to have her diet but due to additional 2 cats my roommate brought in, it hasn’t been going well. She kinda bit me yesterday when I tried picking her up. She seems to be eating and I think she drinks water too. I don’t know about her bathroom habits since there are 2 other cats that like to use her box.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Eva

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Eva?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat
2/17/2018
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Can you tell me more about the diet protocol you've been using? Any vomiting or diarrhea?

No vomiting or diarrhea. Doesn’t seem to be any sign of lumps scratches of bumps anywhere either

Can you tell me more about the diet protocol you've been using?

I’ve been feeding her 1/4 in the morning and 1/4 at night like I was told by my vet. Everything was going great until the other two cats joined. At that time she consumed a great amount of kitten food and gained at least 1 pound.

Thank you for the additional information.

With the change in her diet, the obvious pain she's experiencing, and uncertainly if she's eating, drinking, urinating or defecating normally, I think it would be best to have her examined and I would ask your vet to run a urinalysis, CBC, Chemistry panel, electrolytes and also a pancreatic profile. They may also recommend x-rays. There are a wide variety of conditions which might contribute to pain and be more likely to occur following recent stress such as a urinary tract infection or even pancreatitis. The bloodwork should give your vet some idea on how to best address these concerns.

In the meanwhile, if you must approach this from home, I would separate Eva entirely from the others. I would watch closely to ensure she's eating the 1/4c 2x daily and ensure that she is producing urine and feces normally, as well. If not, this will give you additional reason to have her examined and diagnostics performed.

Just as a word of caution: Please do not use any OTC human pain medications for Eva. These are not metabolized well in cats and often cause organ damage which can be life-threatening.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is your companion doing today, JACustomer?

Eva seems to be doing ok, when I press the left side nothing happened I think she was just mad that I haven’t been home as much lately. She was probably just giving me attitude when I held her, because now she seems as friendly as she usually is, and let’s me hold her with no problems.

Pain can come and go, so if this returns I would recommend that you have an examination performed for her for good measure. Hopefully you're right and this was just a fleeting behavioral concern. Please let me know if I can help further.