Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

We have two old cats (16) and I introduced a kitten into our…

We have two old...

We have two old cats (16) and I introduced a kitten into our home. The kitten is playful, but aggressive too e of the cats, throwing himself on the old cat and chasing after him. The old cat is traumatized and has started to hide away and is not eating. We took him to the vet and has a Xanax-type of med and an appetite inducing pill as well. Every time the older cat does venture out (not very often), the kitten lunges for him. We are trying to distance them, but the kitten enjoys this cat and wants to be with him. The kitten cries for this cat. So now, the old cat is hiding in the closet, doesn’t want to come out, is depressed, and isn’t eating much at all. Kitten is loving but aggressive with play. We try to wear him out with play, but he’s not even four months old and is super energetic. So, the question is, “How do we get these two to like each other?” How do we get the kitten to not jump all over the old cat and traumatize him? Help!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the kitten's name?

Chester.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chester?

He was conceived when his mother got out during Hurricane Irma. Daddy might be a feral cat?

2/16/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

I am so sorry you are going through this and your older boy is so upset. The kitten means no harm, he just wants to play. Drugs like xanax are unnecessary and can actually make things worse.

Kitten MUST be taught that his behavior is unacceptable.

EVERY time he annoys older boy say NO! and gently push him back with a throw pillow,

YOU MUST DO THIS EVERY SINGLE TIME so kitten understands you will not allow him to behave this wt.

NOW anytime he approaches nicely, he gets an immediate food treat. That way he sees GOOD behavior is instantly rewarded.

NEXT, feed them tasty food side by side so they see Good things happen when they are together,

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri