Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My bengal has been pulling out fur on back and sides while…

My bengal has been...

My bengal has been pulling out fur on back and sides while grooming. We rescued him, he was found with 40 other cats in a studio apt. He seems happy now, but just started this. He got checked for ringworm and mites, both negative. I apply a topical fungal, but he still does it. He does have feline herpes and fiv.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations your Bengal can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Bengal's name and age?

Atlas and he is 5 years and 2 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Atlas?

He's been on the same food since for 3 months. We got him 2 months ago. This started about 2 weeks ago.

1/22/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Bless you for saving Atlas from that awful situation.

How long is he puling out fur?

do you see any sores, scabs or irritation?

Is he a anervous kitty?

what is the name of his food?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
He has been pulling out fur for 2 weeks. There is irritation right after. No sores or scabs. He is nervous at times, but usually he is super playful and happy. His food is hills science diet optimum.

Atlas has feline alopecia. It can be caused by itching, pain, dermatitis, allergies and even stress If his skin is not irritated, stress is most likely. He went through a lot in that hoarding situation. Plus Bengals nead a lot of exercise so if he was confined there that would add to his anxiety.

.

make a cheap safe mood stabilizer add 3 mg of melatonin to food containing turkey. Either baby food or canned cat food.Turkey contains l.triptophan so combining it with melatonin will calm him down. However it must be given every 24 hours as the effects are cumulative

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/melatonin-3-mg

Play with him at least 20 minutes twice a day to reduce his anxiety.

He should also be on l lysine for herpes @ 250 mg a day . you can get a bag of lysine treats at any pet store.

could also be an allergic reaction called Miliary dermatitis. It is not contagious, hence other cats are unaffected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miliary_dermatitis

You can apply raw honey to any sore or irritated areas. It is a remarkable healing agent:

http://winterparkhoney.ecrater.com/p/4865201/16-oz-melaleuca-honey-raw-unheated

http://oramanukahoney.com.au/animal_care.html

In addition, add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1

His food is fine but add some canned as the oil lubricates the skim.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Kind regards,

Terri

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Thanks so much for your rating..

There is NO further charge so please feel free to reply anytime and let me know how Atlas is doing

He is VERY LUCKY to have YOU!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri
Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert