Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My 10 month old male cat is acting strange. The other day he…

My 10 month old...

My 10 month old male cat is acting strange. The other day he all of a sudden became skittish and scared of my husband and I. He is eating and drinking fine. But he is spending more time outside than inside and he is fighting with his mother, who we also have inside. She is fixed he is not. We heard him in the yard meowing loudly and he wouldn't come to us when we called him. What could be up?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?

Chaos. K for short

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chaos?

I don't think so.

1/22/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I forgot to mention that he was spending more time inside before this. Now he runs when he sees us.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No phone call, thank you.

I understand that you are concerned about Chaos's change in attitude and behavior.

He is no longer a kitten. I'm not sure he is necessarily afraid of you, but he may want less to do with people, and is shying away as he doesn't want to come inside.

I suspect that your fellow is becoming an adult Tom and as such is less interested in spending time inside and more interested in being outside, looking for a mate and trying to deter any competition from coming into his territory. His vocalizations are likely related to both of those things. As daylight hours are increasing queens will be coming into heat now.

As he becomes an adult he is less patient with his mother and more likely to fight with her. Toms will drive any competition out of their territory, in some cases even their siblings and mother. They may allow queens that are in heat to come on their territory and be bred, but as soon as they are out of heat Toms will drive them away.

His behavior is a bit extreme, but it is normal. I would encourage you to have him neutered to curtail his behaviors before they become habits rather than simply being hormone driven.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
thank you. I think we just need an appointment to get him fixed and hopefully he will become that loving cat we had just a few weeks ago.

I think that will definitely help. His hormones are not helping his personality at this point!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian