Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

He is bathing continuously causing a few sores, and

He is bathing continuously...

He is bathing continuously causing a few sores, and scratches a lot causing some scabs. Vet didn't find anything. I wondered about mites now. I did get a calming diffuser, but don't think it is stress.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

Hobbes, ten years. We do have a new kitten, but it's been about five months and they get along well.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hobbes?

How does this work? I'm new to this.

He does take a heart pill twice a day for a heart flap condition, but vet says he's doing fine with that. Inside cat and screened porch off ground. No fleas.
1/22/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Where exactly is he licking himself?

Where on his body are the sores?

Did your vet treat him with any medication?

Licking pretty much everywhere, legs, stomach, back.A couple sores on belly, some scabs around neck and back (very small).Sores and scabs just started. Haven't taken him back to vet yet. No medicine given then. I bought and am using a calming diffuser for about four days.

Thanks for the information. If he is indoor only, it is unlikely to be mites, unless he is around other cats that go outside. Usually mites will produce problems on the ears, elbows, hocks and face. You may see heavy crusted areas as well. There are a couple of things I would be concerned with. First, never discount fleas in cats because you do not see them. I have found that a large number of cats with flea problems are difficult to find the fleas on because they groom so much. If I am evaluating cats for fleas, I look for problems around the base of the tail, scabs around the neck, black dirt like substance on the hair or tapeworms around the anus, in bedding or around feces (may be rice sized when alive and sesame seeds when dead). Now, if not fleas, then allergies would be another concern. It isn't common for a 10 year old cat to all of a sudden develop allergies, unless you moved somewhere else. A food allergy to something he had eaten his whole life is possible as well. Lastly, anxiety issues can cause over grooming, but there usually aren't any sores on the skin. It just looks like the hair has been trimmed very short on the belly, inner rear limbs and flank area. Antihistamines like Benadryl do a poor job of controlling itching in cats, and really wouldn't be recommended in cats with heart problems. Most likely, he will need a round of steroids, but I wouldn't do injectable if he has heart problems. I would do oral formulations instead. Bathing him with an oatmeal based or hydrocortisone based shampoo can help (should leave on for 10 minutes), but that can be difficult with some cats. I would have your vet put him on a good flea preventative if not already on one, regardless. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Thank you
I'll put both cats on flea medicine tonight and see if he does better. Otherwise I'll take to vet this week.

You are very welcome. Just starting the prevention may not immediately stop the itching if it is fleas because the fleas may not die that quickly with some preventatives, and you have the 95% of the population that are maturing and will get back onto them. Please let me know if you have other concerns.