Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I rescued an abandoned cat, got her into my garage but she…

I rescued an abandoned cat...
I rescued an abandoned cat, got her into my garage but she found an opening in the sheet rock and now goes in and out at night but won’t come out when it’s daylight. She eats and uses the litter box.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have tried a live trap. She figured that out.
1/22/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

how long do you have her?

how old does she look?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
She’s been in my wall for about a week. She looks maybe 2. I went out there late last night and I heard her scrambling to get back in her hiding place. I can’t imagine what she’s been through to make her so afraid.

Thanks so much for the very helpful information.

Please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer

She may have had bad experiences with people up to now. OR her mother may have been a feral cat who taught her to fear humans.She just needs some time and patienc

I would not worry too much about this. She will warm up very soon. Let her do it at her own pace though.

What you are seeing is totally normal feline behavior.

All cats HATE change and cats are like some people - very resistant and suspicious of any thing new. It is normal for a cat to "scope out" a safe spot like under a bed or up high when she is in a new location. From there she records everything in her mind and memory and then decides if it is safe to venture out and when.Since there are no other pets to scare her it will be sooner rather than later.

Go in with smelly food like canned or tuna. Sit down and talk softly. Send out positive vibes by thinking positive. she can sense your energy.

She probably walks around at night.

Since cats are nocturnal and it is quiet at night that is when she feels most comfortable exploring as that is exactly what a cat would do in the wild - so it is instinct.

You can also get a feliway plug in to keep her calm http://www.catfaeries.com/ or a pet supply. That will reduce her anxiety but she is not likely to begin walking around in daytime untill she has convinced her self that it is safe. I would not pull her out and force her - just let her decide when to get into the gist of things..It is best to ignore her and just act as unconcerned and nonchalant as possible.

If you ever saw a new cat come into the at room of a shelter, you would see her immediately get up as high or as far under something as possible.

Leave her food, water and liter in the safe area you have made for her - she will come out to eat when he house is quiet and everyone is asleep.

To a cat food is love and they CAN be bribed. Sit quietly and offer a piece of chicken or cold cut. Eventually she will take food from you. Then she will warm up very quickly to both of you.

Get a lasar pointer and feather wand and engage her in play.

Dont worry, I promise she will be fine.

He Please let me know if you still have questions or wish to discuss this further. I am happy to help.I will always be here for you!

May God bless you for saving her!

I once rescued a feral cat who acted like her. He is now my best friend,

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Kind regards,

Terri

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

I'm just following up on our conversation about Don’T Know. How is everything going?

Terri
Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert