Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat stopped eating and was vomiting Tuesday night, we…

My cat stopped eating...

My cat stopped eating and was vomiting Tuesday night, we rushed her into the vets and they did some blood work. Her alt came back at 822. They gave her denamarin

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

So far she hasn't crashed but I don't see a big change

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Kami

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kami?

She is a little jaundice, and I have been forced feeding her since Tuesday. She also little week when she walks. How long dose it take for the meds to start making her feel batter. She is almost 17 years olds

1/21/2018
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

With regards ***** ***** question, Denamarin is a liver supportive treatment and provided the liver insult has been stopped or is also being treated (ie bacterial infection being treated with antibiotics, etc) it can take a few weeks to improve liver function and with that reduce the ALT levels. That said, if she has been off food and vomiting, both are nausea signs and you do need to make sure that is also being addressed for her. This is quite important as nutrient loss and dehydration can cause them to be weak as you are seeing and we of course want her eating on her own. Therefore, it is worth ringing her vet about a strong anti-nausea treatment (ie Zofran, Cerenia, Metoclopramide) +/- an appetite stimulant. A temporary feeding tube could also be a short term option just to help support Kami while we give the treatment a chance to help her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

I aim to provide best care for your pets just as I do for my own patients. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

I have been giving her an IV every 12 hours. She stopped vomiting Wednesday and I have gotten a few syringe feeding down her every 4-5 hours throughout the day. The syringe is 1cc. She has been peeing a little every 5ish hours or so, I haven't seen her have a BM yet though. She just started meowing a bit last night witch is a first since she got sick. I was just hoping for more improvement by now? Should I be concerned that I have seen one yet? She hasn't gotten worse, just staying the same
Will her alt levels be able to drop back down after being in the 800?

Hello again,

I am glad to see that you are able to support her hydration/nutrient intake but liver issues take time and again longer if the underlying cause for liver damage isn't being treated. So, its worth speaking to her vet about suspected differentials or having a scan to check so we make sure we are treating this as best we can for her. As well, I would strongly advise those above treatments since not treating for nausea often prevents us from getting them eating on their own. Otherwise, if the food you are feeding is easily digestible, we will see less stool. But to just ensure we prevent constipation here, you can add canned pumpkin to her feeds or dose her a few times daily with OTC cat hairball paste. Both are gentle options for keeping them fecally regular.

And it is quite possible to see ALT levels return to normal once the liver insult has passed (plus its important to understand that we read ALT by how many times over normal it is then the number itself, so an ~8x increase is a moderate not marked change and if her other liver enzymes aren't up that is in our favour.

Dr. B

**************************

I am looking at her blood work right now. Im not sure what these other things mean. Her lym is a bit high, 8.65. Her glu is high, 168. And the ggt is a bit over at 5.
Other then that everything is normal

Hi again,

Lym would be lymphocytes which are a white blood cell that elevates in chronic infection. So, we could have an infectious process here. Otherwise, the GGT is another liver enzyme but treating with Denmarin should help with that too. And with regards to glucose (glu) that is likely just up because of stress (its a cat thing) but if there was any concern of diabetes her vet could check a Fructosamine for that.

All the best,

Dr. B.

**************************

Okay thank you!

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

**************************

Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
How do I rate? Can't seem to find it?

Hi again, It looks like you have found the wee stars. :)

Thank you and all the best,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet