Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat had some sort of an episode about thirty minutes ago.

Hello! My cat had...

Hello! My cat had some sort of an episode about thirty minutes ago. She went limp and rolled off my lap. I caught her but she was motionless with her legs tucked under her torso and was staring. I thought for a moment she had died. I lowered her to her side on the floor and after a few moments she started meowing in a frantic way, clearly distressed. I picked her up and she stopped meowing but was limp in my arms. Now she is sitting up, eating and drinking but still seems shakey (more so than usual - she has had noticeable weakness in the rear legs for several years now) and is somewhat hesitant to walk. Is this something I should seek emergency care for, or can I keep a close eye on her for now since she seems to be improving? Medical hx: She is at least 15, receives thyroid hormone secondary to an I-131 ablation five years ago as well as cisapride for idiopathic constipation. She has early stage renal failure but labs have been within normal limits on a renal diet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did your cat have a fall?

No, I was able to catch her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Pixel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pixel?

I think I have covered everything

1/21/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Pixel. I'm so sorry you're going through this. It sounds really scary. I'll do my best to help, but based on your initial description, I'd say this warrants a trip to the ER. I'm worried about the possibility of a saddle thrombus (clot), stroke, or seizure.

I know you indicated she's improving, but is she back to normal?

Shortly after I sent my question she stood up and walked to her water bowl. She drank quite a bit of water (she usually does) and then crossed the room to her favorite cat bed. She seemed much steadier then. Now she seems to be resting comfortably, if I hadn't seen her go floppy like that I honestly wouldn't know there was a problem at this point.

Wow. I'm super relieved to hear that. That means this isn't a stroke or a blood clot. Seizure is still possible, so is something called syncope (typing more...).

Thank you so much for your quick response. She is up eating again, also purring loudly because I keep petting her.

Please have a look at the information in this article. I know it's about dogs, not cats, but it still applies.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/syncope-fainting-in-dogs

Thank you, ***** ***** sound a bit like what she did.

Out of all of the possibilities, that's the most likely one to cause such a severe attack, then allow her to be nearly normal again right afterwards.

This is a head's up that she may be suffering from some underlying heart disease (which wouldn't be at all unusual for a cat her age). It's still worth investigating with a trip to the vet, even if she continues to act fine.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
She is back to eating again and meows when I talk to her. Her usual vet techs say they always know when she is very sick because she won't talk to them so this is reassuring. :) Thank you so much for your help. I will definitely take her to the vet to look into this further.

Sounds good. Thank you.