Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My almost 4 month old kitten fell off of our stairs, so she…

My almost 4 month...

My almost 4 month old kitten fell off of our stairs, so she fell 2 stories. Her nose is bleeding and swelling

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

Her pupil size is normal, no signs of shock. Breathing is normal, she is currently sleeping on my lap

1/20/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I would like to assist you.

THe problem with this type of fall is there can be brain swelling from the impact. The idea situation would be to have her seen in an ER Vet office. I know for most it is not affordable. To help the swelling you can apply an ice back to the bridge of the nose and this should also slow the bleeding. You will need to monitor her and make sure she has no seizures and wakes at a couple of hour intervals. The swelling in the nose may prohibit her from eating and that can be a big problem if the kitten cannot smell her food. I also imagine she has some pain.

If you cannot get her into an ER tonight, she will need to be seen tomorrow morning first thing by a Vet.

I would wake her every couple of hours, and offer her some fluids. Keep a close eye on her and if you cannot awaken her, she has a seizure or any further issues with pain please get her to the ER.

If you need to locate an ER I can assist with that with a City, State and Zipcode. Most times the pain and issues do not show for 12-24 hours after a fall like this. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

I do know of a pet urgent care near me that I can take her to. However I can also take her to the vet first thing tomorrow morning. I am worried because the fall is pretty high although i didn’t see her fall.
I am concerned about the cost of the urgent care, I am assuming they would want to do an X-ray and other things
Never mind, I guess the urgent care is closed. So the ER would be the only place available

The best scenario is to have her seen now. They can Xray and make sure there is no swelling in the brain and nothing is broken. They will also give pain meds. You can try waiting until morning, but waking her and keeping a close eye on her through the night will be the utmost of importance. If nothing unusuall happens and she wakes and seems ok, then take her in the morning, but should she seize, then an ER visit would be needed.

Joan

How is the kitten doing? Have you tried waking him to check him?

Joan

She wakes up when I wake her up. She woke up by herself and cleaned her nose and her face with her paw. I reschecked her eyes and they are functioning normal. She responds to us normally and visual stimuli. She is trying to play with a napkin so i think she’s doing a lot better

Great news and that is what I like to hear, She may have pain tomorrow so follow up with the Vet in the Morning.

If I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive rating. Please update me after the Vet visit and I will be here until about 1am est if you need me. There is no extra charges for follow ups.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Thank you so much! I will probably take her to the vet tomorrow

Please update me. I want to make sure all is ok.

Joan

Ok for sure, I will
Hi Joan! So my cat is all good. I did not take her to the vet after doing a trauma assessment and calling a friend who is in vet school. She is back to normal, playing around and eating normally. So signs of brain damage or spinal cord injury. She pretty much went back to normal the next day. Thank you for your help!

Glad all is well and the Kitten is back to normal.

Joan