Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have been feeding an outdoor cat for several months and he…

I have been feeding an...
I have been feeding an outdoor cat for several months and he has been affectionate and allows petting but stays outside. He came up a few days ago with an open throat wound which looks like it was caused by a fence. He has not been vaccinated yet. He still allows petting and eats his food. When I take him to the vet for treatment, what can I expect? I live in the state of Alabama.
1/19/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

can you please use the paper clip icon to post a pic of the wouund?

is it bleeding?

Dear Janis,

Bless you for taking care of Domino!vGo to Walmart and get raw honey. It is a remarkable healing agent with antibiotic properties.

Apply it directly to the wound several times a day. It will heal it up very quickly.

Do this for 3 days and the wound will be gone.

If you go to a vet they will clean it and script an antibiotic.

If you have other cats test Domino for FIV and fELV before exposing him to them.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Kind regards,

Terri

Thank you for the great pic!Poor baby looks like he got caught on a fence or other sharp item.

I would clean it with plain soap and water or betadine dilutedto the color of weak tea. Then apply honey several times a day,

If you are going to the vet anyway for shots let them clean, shave and debride the area and script an antibiotic.

Please keep me updated on his recovery

Hello Terri
I was just checking to see if you received the additional picture. Thanks.

My pleasure! If you are treating it at home, shave the fur an inch around the wound. then clean and apply honey several times a day.

You don't need to do anything else.

WHAT A GORGEOUS KITTY!

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Thanks so much for your rating!

There is NO further charge so please feel free to keep me posted on Dominoes recovery

thank you very much for your generous bonus!!

Hi Terri
What do I need to use to apply the honey and/or diluted betadine? Thanks.

use a cotton ball for the betadine and a q tip for the honey

Thank you

you are more than welcome

Hi Janis,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Domino. How is everything going?

Terri