Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat is going bald on her left side, she has not got fleas…

My cat is going...

My cat is going bald on her left side, she has not got fleas as I check her all the time. And she is not scratch she is lacking it out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** her age is 4yrs.I use the flea stuff that my vet told me to use.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Molly?

4yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?

She is of her food at the moment to

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I worry about my cat Molly she had this once before and the vet gave her steroid injection and that cleared it up. But this time they have not done that
1/19/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Local Veterinarian Recommendations. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

How long is Molly licking the area?

is she a nervous kitty?

was she given a shot of depo medrol last time this occured?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No she not a nervous cat she is lovely cat she likes lots of cuddles, this has been going on for about 6months now
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
She does not like it when you touch her left side.

Thanks so much for the very helpful information.

Please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Have had her back to the vet 6 times with it and still they have done nothing
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
She was given a steroid injection

This sounds like feline alopecia. The disorder is usually seen in nervous cats who overgroom the area. Since Molly is a calm, lovely kitty she does not meet that criteria. Hence, I suspect an underlying problem like itching or pain in the area.injection

The steroid injectioin she was given is called depo medrol. It is not recommended more than once yearly because it can bring on diabetes or renal issues.

I would xray the area to see if there is a painful issue under the skin.

You can also try one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeton every 24 hours or half of a 25 mg benedryl tablet to stop itching as a safer alternative.Rub a little aloe vera into the area to sooth and promote new hair growth.

You can also cover the sot with a babies t shirt or make a tube top with the sleeve of an old blouse.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thankyou so much for your excellent help today, she is going to the vet tomorrow so I will ask for xray on her Terrie xx
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
A5 star rating

you are more than welcome. It a wonderful is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person!

please press the ratings button so I am credited by the site. I will still be here for you at no additional charge

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

thanks so much for your rating. Please keep me updated on Mollys condition.

I will always be here for both of you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri
Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert